prayer kneeler
This must be the week for church furniture. A local pastor asked me make a kneeler for her. "A what?", was my reply. 

She had a picture of one in a catalog, a piece of Illinois walnut she's held onto for some time, and now wanted me to make one for her.

We used some more walnut for the sides. We retained as much of the live edge as possible. The cushion part folds up by way of a pivot point with locking nuts on bolts passing through a metal rod. The top is beveled at 10 degrees, stands about 30 inches tall and is 22 inches wide. The green velvet shown is temporary while she decides which fabric she ultimately wants.

This wound up costing a bit more than the catalog version but she got what she wanted and has a story to tell.

Attached Files Image(s)

Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Nice interpretation.  The prie dieu  I made was of the simple kind.  Of course, I had made the altar rail too, so the choice to pursue a less creative design with wood already in the basement seemed easiest.

The cost of such things in the catalogs was frightening.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I like that you embraced the imperfections of the wood. It makes the piece what it is.
Big Grin

I'm imagining that your Pastor liked it too. Generally people who hang onto a board for a long time, want to see the board they remember in anything made from it. Ya done good.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
She came by and picked it up today. Yes, quite happy with it.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Nice utilization of the supplied wood.
The piece has a lot of character.