Baileigh Tilting Mortiser
Hello all. Question, I am in the market to upgrade my bench top mortiser to a larger, floor standing model. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the Baileigh MC-1000TT model. I am heavily leaning to the Powermatic model, but the price tag on this one made me do a double take. Comparing side-by-side features, they are nearly identical, except for the tilting head and table on the Baileigh (table tilts in two dimensions). It is my understanding that the Baileigh has plastic knobs, which is not ideal for longevity. 
Looking for anyone with any knowledge/experience with this model.
Thanks!
Terrific price!

I've had the Powermatic in my Amazon cart for several months now, and it is cheaper than Grizzly. The Baileigh is about $400 less! You better buy it, then report back!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-04-2017, 11:50 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Terrific price!

I've had the Powermatic in my Amazon cart for several months now, and it is cheaper than Grizzly.  The Baileigh is about $400 less!  You better buy it, then report back!

Note with shipping the Baleigh is less than $100 cheaper.  I have looked at the Baleigh for a while and it has several things to like more than the PM 719 but it is something of an unknown, the Powermatic is a known entity and has a warranty 5 times longer.
Tony Z, I have the Powermatic in my cart as well...been there a while.

Huxleywood, You are correct, I sent a quote request to them and the shipping and handling was almost $300 so that brings it up a lot closer. As you point out though, it is a bit of an unknown and doesn't have as good a warranty. I still think it will be the Powermatic at this point.
Have you considered a horizontal router mortiser?  The only place I can see where a chisel mortiser is  the "right" tool for the job is making square ended through mortises.  In every other case a horizontal router mortiser is easier to set up, faster, more accurate, and produces smoother, better fitting joints with NO handwork required.  And you never have to sharpen anything; when the router bit gets dull you just swap it out for a new one.  The horizontal router mortiser also does a lot more than just make mortises - integral tenons, dowel holes, sliding dovetails, rabbets, raised panels.  

John
(04-04-2017, 02:23 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Have you considered a horizontal router mortiser?  The only place I can see where a chisel mortiser is  the "right" tool for the job is making square ended through mortises.  In every other case a horizontal router mortiser is easier to set up, faster, more accurate, and produces smoother, better fitting joints with NO handwork required.  And you never have to sharpen anything; when the router bit gets dull you just swap it out for a new one.  The horizontal router mortiser also does a lot more than just make mortises - integral tenons, dowel holes, sliding dovetails, rabbets, raised panels.  

John

Show him some pics John, I can see the bobber tipping a little, think you might have him
Big Grin

Seriously, Johns HRM table rocks.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Oh, I didn't notice that the OP, also of Dutch heritage so he must be a good guy, is new here and probably hasn't seen what the horizontal router mortiser looks like.  So dvanvleet, welcome, and take a look at this link.  Happy to answer any questions you might have. 

John
So, I'm not exactly "new" to this forum; I used to post under "dvan1901" years back, but was on a 4-5 year break from woodworking.  So, let me get this straight; you have a horizontal mortiser, that you designed and sell? Or the plans for it at least? Great.

So, I can probably mark this post as "closed" because I'm pretty sure I've made my decision, based on feedback. #NoRouterRequired
Bayleigh makes quality machines--same as Vectrax, made in Taiwan.

For a mortiser I picked up a used Powermatic 720 HD.
Wood is good. 
(04-04-2017, 10:27 PM)dvanvleet Wrote: So, I'm not exactly "new" to this forum; I used to post under "dvan1901" years back, but was on a 4-5 year break from woodworking.  So, let me get this straight; you have a horizontal mortiser, that you designed and sell? Or the plans for it at least? Great.

So, I can probably mark this post as "closed" because I'm pretty sure I've made my decision, based on feedback. #NoRouterRequired

If you follow the link I provided you would see that I offer plans to my generation one horizontal router mortiser for free.  Several folks here and elsewhere have built it.  I try to help them with any questions they have before, during, or after building one because I want to help people enjoy making joints quickly and easily and that fit together right the first time.  I also offer an upgraded model for sale, and several folks here and elsewhere have purchased one. 

John