Baileigh Tilting Mortiser
Very cool. Never used a horizontal mortiser.
(04-06-2017, 09:58 AM)dvanvleet Wrote: Very cool. Never used a horizontal mortiser.

Once you do you'll never use a chisel mortiser. 

John
I finished John's mortiser recently. I already had the router to dedicate to it, and I think the rest of the components was south of $100.

I'm a hobbyist and it works great.
OP, why are you upgrading your benchtop mortiser?  To cut faster or stronger mortises? To cut wider or thicker mortises?  I have three mortise machines, a benchtop chisel, a horizontal router, and a Domino XL.  I use them all, but I haven't ever found the need for a larger chisel mortiser. The fastest mortise is made the Domino, the most versatile mortise machine is my horizontal (a Laguna that uses the Robland table and a PC router), and I only use the chisel mortiser for small jobs.  Not trying to talk you out of a large floorstanding chisel mortiser, they are really nice.  But if you haven't used a horizontal, please look into it.  Making these doors (below) using traditional mortise and tenon joints would have been very difficult.  They are  much simpler to make using floating tenons.  1 1/8 Sapelle door with floating tenons in all the joints, even the curved ones.
[Image: IMG_0293.jpg][/img]
[Image: IMG_0295.jpg][/img]
[Image: IMG_0369.jpg][/img]
BCW,
So, the reason for the upgrade is for a couple of reasons. One, on a couple occasions I've needed more capacity, in terms of table to bit clearance. I have another project coming up where this is going to be an issue again as well. Second, the ability to clamp a piece still and move it in the vice instead of moving the piece is appealing (very much so). I know I can add an x-y vice, but that doesn't help with clearance.
I do a lot of mortise and tenon joints, some on angles, so these combinations I like.
For far less than the cost of a Domino, you could buy Johns Mortiser, and with stop blocks easily do the same as a Domino, and so much more. For a one shot pony, they are so overpriced it's not funny, Domino that is.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW