Name this Vise
Not a clue what this is; any guesses?  No makers mark that I could find.

[Image: IMG_0797_zpsts5yfsrr.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0798_zps3esbkhzj.jpg]
"Name this Vise"

I think it looks like a "Fred"

All kidding aside, that's a blacksmith's leg vise (sometimes called a "solid box" or "post" vise)
Seems like there is a market for them, at least on eBay some have sold in the $200 - $300 range. Who knew?
(04-04-2017, 02:47 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Seems like there is a market for them, at least on eBay some have sold in the $200 - $300 range. Who knew?

I, for one, knew that.
They're distinct from other vises in a couple of ways:

1.  The construction transmits downward force through the leg into the floor/ground, making them good for pounding on stuff held in the vise.

2.  The jaws are traditionally wrought iron or steel tempered soft, so they're not as easily damaged by heat and pounding as cast iron jaws in, say, machinist's vises.

The "staple" on the fixed jaw - on yours, there are a couple of lag screws sticking through the back end of it - is designed to slide on the leg, so the force passes through. That staple is bolted to the top of the workbench.

Depending on where you live, they're valuable or easily found.  I've got an extra from my son, carefully integrated into a portable unit, that I use nowandagain. If you own it, and you do much metalwork, don't let it go; they're quite useful.
Thanks for all the great information. I don't do the type of work that this vise would help with, so I am inclined to find it a new home.
Black Smith vise
So now its official: folks all over the world know what this is, except me (I've got to get out more).
(04-04-2017, 03:49 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: So now its official: folks all over the world know what this is, except me (I've got to get out more).

Don't feel bad; we can't all know everything.  And you know way, way more about tools and working wood and stuff like that than 90% of the adult American world.
Phil
Keep your politics out of this discussion