Name this Vise
Thats odd: it appears one of my replys has been deleted: I wonder what rule I broke?

Joe:

I treat everyone on the forum with respect and I'd appreciate the same from you.

Thanks

Phil
That is something which must be earned, not requested
Joe: lets take this outside (offline). Thanks Phil
The vise looks like light and tall, more suited for file work. How tall is it and how wide are the jaws? Location really drives the price. It took me 3 weeks to sell a 5 inch vise a couple of years ago. I was asking $120, which was less than all others on local Indiana craigslists. Also, size really plays into price. Really big or small go for more.
Yes I will have to take some measurements and look a little harder for any markings that might identify the mfg. An interesting find for sure.
I have seen quite a few with faint markings on the jaws. A lot of them have the weight stamped on the jaw facing the user. By the nature of the work they were used for, many had rough lives. As another person said, they were wrought iron. The markings get worn off through the years.
I was thinking it should be named Vincent. Vincent the Vise. Has a nice ring to it, I think.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
So the answer to the original question: its called a $199 vise (just sold via craigslist).
The blacksmith that bought it was glad to get it and seemed more than pleased with the price.
It is a blacksmith's leg vise. Like a wooden leg vise, it is capable of being set up to be as stable as any vise out there. Sturdy and dependable. Firm grip and easy use. An ancient and classic design. They are still sold and made and are considered to be a must have in a complete blacksmith shop. Or even a fairly minimal blacksmith shop really.

Leg Vise Listing at centaurforge
toolmakingart.com

When you have eliminated all unnecessary wood, then whatever remains, however well formed, is too small to serve as originally intended.
(06-24-2017, 08:16 PM)CedarSlayer Wrote: It is a blacksmith's leg vise. Like a wooden leg vise, it is capable of being set up to be as stable as any vise out there. Sturdy and dependable. Firm grip and easy use. An ancient and classic design. They are still sold and made and are considered to be a must have in a complete blacksmith shop. Or even a fairly minimal blacksmith shop really.

Leg Vise Listing at centaurforge

Bob;

Good to see you back in here again!  Welcome back!  Thanks for the link... interesting vise indeed... always interested in blacksmith shops..
Skip