Help setting up the space in my new shop?
(04-06-2017, 09:11 PM)Wood Wrote: It sounds like you've thought about this quite a bit.  The only thing I'd suggest would be to call your homeowners insurance company and check on what you're doing.  Especially the fact that you're adding a wood burning stove in a woodshop that's attached to your house.

I'm actually talking to them now.  I just realized that my ww'ing equipment isn't covered under our current home owner's insurance plan (always assumed it was under personal property!) and only $1000 of coverage is provided for tools under the new one.  I'm running through all the tools I can remember, and while I bought almost *none* of them new, today's replacement prices should all need to be replaced is north of $25k.

Holy crap.
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-05-2017, 06:48 PM)Harold O. Wrote: There are a lot of things to consider. Sounds like you've been down this road and are set to go.

As it happens, the Wood Whisperer just moved his shop into a three car garage. He's pretty good at explaining his thinking.

Video link here.

Very cool shop!
looks like its going to be a nice workspace.
personally, I think id completely remove the door on the end and frame it in. not too hard to do and vinyl siding is pretty easy to do and not that expensive.
(04-11-2017, 10:09 AM)tomsteve Wrote: looks like its going to be a nice workspace.
personally, I think id completely remove the door on the end and frame it in. not too hard to do and vinyl siding is pretty easy to do and not that expensive.

There's no way I'd get SWMBO to go along with that.  She thinks it's a bad idea to just remove the hardware above the door!
Semper fi,
Brad

PLEASE tell me it will get better...

[Image: FB_IMG_1492535455895_zpsasmphajv.jpg]
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-19-2017, 08:34 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: PLEASE tell me it will get better...

[Image: FB_IMG_1492535455895_zpsasmphajv.jpg]

Your shop set up is exactly like mine!  I have a three bay garage and the one bay is dedicated to the wife's car and the other two bays are mine.

I installed a temporary wall between her bay and mine with a 4' wide x 7' wall birch door I had left over from a project.

The cabinets you see hanging on the wall is the temp wall.  I've managed to put a lot of tools in my space. 

I have a dedicated 100 amp service for my shop.  I have T8 lamps throughout the space and task lighting as needed.

We have a bonus room directly above my shop so I installed a couple drops from the air handler unit upstairs into my shop so I have "free" heat and AC in the shop.

I've moved machines and dust collection piping around a few times, but the main big tools (DC, compressor, TS, etc.) all stay in the same place

[Image: Shop2014_zps442e5806.jpg][/img]
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
It's refreshing to know that somebody else has done something similar!

The first pic you attached doesn't come through, but I get the idea.

The wall I'm putting in will only be partial because I'll need to be able to pull my motorcycles and lawnmower in AND the bay doors on my side will be disabled.

Are those glass-front doors on your cabinets? Did you build them?
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-20-2017, 08:54 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: It's refreshing to know that somebody else has done something similar!

The first pic you attached doesn't come through, but I get the idea.

The wall I'm putting in will only be partial because I'll need to be able to pull my motorcycles and lawnmower in AND the bay doors on my side will be disabled.

Are those glass-front doors on your cabinets?  Did you build them?

Yes, I built those cabinets.  Base cabinets are all birch plywood and uppers are birch plywood boxes with solid birch rail/stiles and 1/8" glass.  I love having the the glass on the doors so I don't need to open doors every time I'm looking for something.  Plus I like the looks of them.

This doubles as my miter station as well.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV