Failproof "Dark" QSWO Finish Please
My best advise is to make sample specimens.  They will tell you what works and what does not.  IME, Jeff's recipes work great and there is no reason to deviate.  You asked for foolproof - they are.

John
Got it. Thanks men.
Just remember to keep track of your tint concentration from your tests.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
First before I give good advise how much are you going to sell your shop for to me?  I need to know if I should go bad or good advise. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I would dye it which takes on anything.  I would let it dry and then add any stain you want to finish if it is needed.

I did that with an old child's table my wife had from over 54 years ago.  I used espresso stain and it did not take to well so I sanded it off and used the brown dye and then the stain and it looks much better.

I also put on to much pre stain thinking more was better and it was not.
Slap 
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.