WiFi Question
My router has three detachable Antenna's. It is located in a basement boiler room and works fine in the house.

I am not getting a good signal in the shop which is not surprising.

Can I run an antenna wire extension to a remote high gain antenna that is outside the house to provide better coverage? I see that they sell the antenna's and the Extension wires.
I had the same idea once and after talking with a technician and getting lost in his tech words on his first sentence of quarter waves and frequencies and horizontal and degree transmissions, the simple answer was most likely no.

But then he could have been bs'ing me and I wouldn't know it either.

I moved the router.
Yeah rf transmission is for the scientists... But he router antennas transmit basically in a circle. Not much is up or down from them. 

The best routers I have used ate ubiquity. They have some residential versions that are affordable. I like them because you can easily raise the transmission power without installing third party firmware. However I am on a cheapie for now because our vizio tv decided to crap it's main board and it took the router with it. Hopefully I can find the board to fix the tv but the router is dead.
Your service provider can sell you a repeater which will greatly improve the signal.

I have plaster walls with steel lathe and it kills the signals.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If you have a second router you can bridge them.  Google "Bridge Two Routers."
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I have the opposite problem, my internet comes into my workshop and I use a bridge router in the house.  At first I used a directional antenna at both ends to maximize signal and speed since the workshop is 150 feet pr so from the house.

I later bought a spool of CAT5e direct burial cable, rented a trencher from home depot for 4 hours and increased my speed by 4X.  The direct burial cable is not in a conduit and works just fine and was way less money than the antennas and transceivers needed to throw the signal wirelessly..   
Big Grin
-------------------------
I married my wife for her looks, just not the ones she has been giving me lately
I have two routers.  Everything was working fine until Comcast decided to stop answering DNS requests, and Netgear did an update that put them both on the same subnet because they thought Comcast wanted the local net I was using.  I am not sure I care that comcast wants my net or if I should listen to them, but Netgear thought it was important to accommodate them.  Broke my wifi for a while.
My shop is about 150 feet away from the house as well, but no nice clear path to bury an ethernet cable. I'd be dodging every other line into the house, phone, gas, and electrical all would be in the path. Driveway blocks the long way as a possible path and I don't want to tunnel under it since it's chip seal.
you can buy directional antennas.  If I had this problem, I would look at outdoor antennas and transmit on a directional antenna.  I think it might be best to use a repeater in the shop hooked up to an outdoor antenna.  It might end up costing more than you want to spend though, once you move away from routers, prices are not particularly cheap
(04-06-2017, 09:49 AM)sroxberg Wrote: My shop is about 150 feet away from the house as well, but no nice clear path to bury an ethernet cable. I'd be dodging every other line into the house, phone, gas, and electrical all would be in the path. Driveway blocks the long way as a possible path and I don't want to tunnel under it since it's chip seal.

Mine is the same distance but it's a super easy dig as its all sand. However I'm only digging to put sprinkler pipe in. No extra digging. I finally have the yard looking better than it never has and it takes way way too long for grass to grow back after you dig. I'm enjoying our nice green grass while I can until the heat hits then I'll water it daily to try and keep it nice.