Hard Arkansas stone cleaning
I haven't "cleaned" or "flattened" an Arkansas stone in over twenty years. My black Arkansas stone from 1976 has never been flattened or abraded since new. It is still 1.000 inches thick. These stones are used for polishing steel, not so much for abrasion. We use oil on oil stones because the viscosity is high enough to suspend the steel. If the stone is getting fouled with steel, check your oil.
Not as a reply to Warren, but others: India stones are artificial and impregnated with oil by the manufacturer. Stones new or ones having surfaces flattened, will fill grabby. Doubt if any hobbyist could dish a hard Arkansas stone through their lifetime of hobbyist use! Best care is wiping the surface clean after each use, using a paper towel, and if you want to "clean" the swarf, dampen the towel with the same lubricant used to sharpen with.

I served a four year carpenter apprenticeship in the seventies, and bought a two sided artificial stone when I started. I left the trade to start a business in 1989, and when I quit, that stone was badly dished on both sides. I also had a long (1" x 1" x 12") in an aluminum holder, used to keep my disposable utility knife blades razor sharp (quicker to take a couple of swipes than change the blade).

Sounding like a curmudgeon with this post, but I have to add, that just yesterday I received notice from the union, that In September, when I turn 65, I have a $600/month pension I will begin to receive! Even though only 40 years ago, lots of good tools were still being made, but,at the wages we could earn, you would choose just what you needed to get the job done.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Warren-
  Not everyone takes as good care of their stones as you. A couple of years ago I bought a surgical black from a guy via craigslist. It was glazed so shiny it wouldn't cut at all. I had to cut the surface back with a fine diamond stone to get it back working. I don't know how he got it that way. I tend to favor isopropyl alcohol as a whetstone fluid for stones that don't absorb,  and it is light enough that there is a bit of a tendency to leave shiny spots on the stone if I use a lot of pressure.
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com