Ridgid JP06101 Jointer Maintence Question
I have a Ridgid JP06101 jointer that I need to check the pully set screws on (found one on the floor underneath the machine) and I want to replace the drive belt with a link belt for smoother operation.

My question is can one remove the back panel on the base to access the belt and pulleys or do I have to turn the whole thing upside down to gain access?  As I review assembly instructions, they have you assemble the whole base and adjust the motor belt tension before setting the thing upright.  In its normal upright position can one remove the back panel without undermining the frame?  My unit is on the rolling base so it's not the easiest thing to access from underneath.

Thanks
Dave
(04-08-2017, 08:56 AM)djcook50 Wrote: I have a Ridgid JP06101 jointer that I need to check the pully set screws on (found one on the floor underneath the machine) and I want to replace the drive belt with a link belt for smoother operation.

My question is can one remove the back panel on the base to access the belt and pulleys or do I have to turn the whole thing upside down to gain access?  As I review assembly instructions, they have you assemble the whole base and adjust the motor belt tension before setting the thing upright.  In its normal upright position can one remove the back panel without undermining the frame?  My unit is on the rolling base so it's not the easiest thing to access from underneath.

Thanks
Dave

As long as there is a panel to remove just do that. you will not hurt the base by removing it. I would check the clearances for the new linkbelt, you may not be able to use the green linkbelt Harbor Freight style as it is wider and protrudes higher in the sheaves You may have to use the red version If you are using the same sheaves. To hold the setscrews in place  either put a drop of nail polish or use blue locktite on the of the setscrews or put a second setscrew on top of the first one to lock it in place, either work 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

You can download the manual from Ridgid.  It does appear that both the front and back panels are removable.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/jointer-planer
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks guys.  Appreciate your responses.  Good idea on the setscrews.  I was surprised one of them came loose.  I've used the red link belt from Lee Valley on my drill press & hopefully that type might work.

Dave
I was able to remove the back panel of the jointer and gain access to the pulleys (takes gorilla arms to reach up under there and a home-made woodworker's creeper helps too).  Anyway, the setscrew had come out of the motor pulley, the second one was loose, and the pulley was working its way off the shaft.  Used the blue loc-tite and they should be a bit more secure.

I also reset the belt tension while I had easy access.

Getting the panel back on was a bit fussy to get the square holes in the sheet metal lined up, but went back together no problem.

Thanks again for the above tips.

Cheers,
Dave
I've used the red link belt on my rigid jointer and it has worked great and helped with vibration.
War Eagle!