Replacing a vacuum power cord
We have a new puppy that loves to chew wires.
He chewed through the power cord on my wife's new vacuum.
Can I wire nut and tape the wires back together?
There are only 2 wires, black and white.
If not, where can you buy replacement cords?
Thanks
Yes, you could wire nut and tape the cut wires back together, but my concern would be the strain on the cord from pulling the vac around. You might be better off to use crimp on connectors as opposed to wire nuts, although I'd still  be concerned about straining the connection.
Depending on the cord, it might be easiest to replace it. My first thought would be to buy an extension cord of equal gauge and similar covering and length and just cut off the female end to expose the wires. Of course this all relies on your ability to make safe and proper connections!
If you fix it . I would use these . Followed by electric  tape , then heat shrink , or at least gorilla tape.

They also make these that you can heat shrink the ends ... Just harder to find.
[Image: splices1.jpg]

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Check this.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If the damage is near the plug end, cut the cord off and buy a replacement plug. The crimps are good if you use the correct size, the correct crimper, and enough pressure on the crimper.   I don't think splicing it in the middle will be a lasting repair given the way a vacuum is normally used.    Roly
A replacement cord is the ideal fix, make sure it incorporates strain relief at the connection end.

If not a replacement cord, I would strip then twist the conductors along their length and solder the wire connection.  Insulate the individual conductors with heat shrink tubing then heat shrink over the repair location and extending past the repair as far as the heat shrink allows.  Heat shrink is available at Home Depot and in a variety pack at Harbor freight.

I've heard an application of Tabasco sauce will make the cord less palatable to the puppy.  I was told this after repairing several cords and replacing a couple of remote controls.
Upset

Steve
Whatever you do, make sure to unplug the cord when you are not using it. Think "Christmas Vacation" and the cat.

Thanks for all the replies
I had never heard of heat shrink or seen that type of connection
I'll try them
Unfortunately the vacuum's website doesn't list a power cord as a replacement part
Is this cord self retracting? if so i would replace the whole cord, call the mfg and ask if they sell a replacement.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
Have you checked with a vacuum repair place for a cord ?    Or what they would charge to repair or replace it ?  Roly