Learned Something Today
'bout 15 years go I helped my dad purge the fuel lines on a John Deere diesel that then was probably 20 years old. It was in air lock after somebody ran the tank dry. Well today I didn't check the fuel level in the tank before I borrowed my dad's Kubota and ran it dry. I'm going to tell him to check the fuel gauge. My dad is out of town this weekend. After some internet searches and not finding how to purge this one, I figured I'd be calling a repair guy. A friend of a friend called me and told me with the newer tractors just keep cranking until it starts. I was only letting it crank 10 seconds or so, I didn't want to run the battery down. So I took his advice and that worked.
Did not know that either. I guess they have improved them course the other issue is newer diesels run the fuel rails at extremely high pressure and doing it the old way could be very dangerous.
BIL has a Mahindra (I think).  He keeps it out at his parent's place.  A couple weeks ago, I was getting the quick show & tell, in case I ever needed to use it.  He told me to make sure I didn't run it out of fuel.  I think it's only about 3 years old.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

My Yanmar has an electric pump that pushes the fuel from the tank to the injector pump. I would expect most of the late model consumer oriented tractors to be similar.
Have also seen a hand operated vent with a pump like on an outboard fuel line.   Roly
(04-10-2017, 03:11 PM)Roly Wrote: Have also seen a hand operated vent with a pump like on an outboard fuel line.   Roly

I had a Chevette with Isuzu diesel.  It had a hand operated pump to bring the fuel from the tank to the fuel rail, in case of a fuel run-out.  I will not admit to the fact that I learned how to use it
Sigh .  I still had to run the starter a little longer, since this only brought the fuel from the tank to the filter, the the rail had not yet been pressurized.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
John Deere has been in the news lately with farmers needing to get their tractors up and running after minor failures such as running out of gas, etc. Seems the "official tech guy" has to come out and reset the engine control computer (for a fee and time lost of course).

Years ago my '78 Ford Pinto ran out of gas and subsequently fouled the catalytic converter. Plugged the exhaust system and the car would not run until everything was replaced.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
Who lets a vehicle run out of gas/diesel??? DFs, there own fault!!! Most have a gas pump in the tank and is cooled by the fuel, get low screws it all up. Run out and Bingo!!!!.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Years ago my '78 Ford Pinto ran out of gas and subsequently fouled the catalytic converter. Plugged the exhaust system and the car would not run until everything was replaced.

If it was out out of fuel what plugged it? I think you were taken. In college, Christmas break home, and some friends visited an old beater car, 15- degrees, theres would not start, towed to the local repair shop, sat in side and warmed up, next day we are there, the owner/mechanic told him to crank it over, it did, but did not start, told him he needed a new something, I said now connect the primary off the distributor cap, which he had off, I got a dirty look, he did, and started right up!!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(04-21-2017, 10:33 PM)Harold O. Wrote: John Deere has been in the news lately with farmers needing to get their tractors up and running after minor failures such as running out of gas, etc. Seems the "official tech guy" has to come out and reset the engine control computer (for a fee and time lost of course).

Yeah the Dear John thing is pretty bad. Hopefully the right to repair bill will gain some ground. I don't know why the tractors don't fall under the existing Magnuson  Moss act. But JD is claiming that you don't own the equipment but that you have have a licence to operate the machine. It's part of why I would never own anything from them and recommend others not to buy from them either. There is software available from hackers that have hacked the system and you can do some of what you need from a laptop, but that voids your warranty unlike in the automotive field where you are covered by the MM act.

The pinto did not end up with a clogged converter due to running out of gas. That era had pellet converters which were not very good. Leaded gas which was available then would plug them up pretty quick and any oil the engine was burning and if it was running rich also lead to quick plugging, also running too lean will cause melt downs as well.