Bird pecked a hole in siding
I have cedar siding and a bird made a hole and plans to nest.  I need help fast and would like to know your solution. Unfortunately, it's on the second story and don't really have a tall enough ladder. Thanks.
I see you are from Chicago, so our country, red-necked solution would not help you at all.  Remington makes a very good scare-crow.

The problem either needs eliminated or mitigated.  I would say you are in mitigation mode, i.e. prevent the nest building.  The way I see it, you must climb.  You could rent a ladder.  However, it likely would be as cheap to hire someone, rather than rent equipment for such a small job.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
A pest control company might offer an acceptable solution.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Rent a ladder, get some flashing and grab your staple gun.

(Make sure staple gun penetrates flashing BEFORE you climb ladder) DAMHIKT
Wink

Keep number of rental company for next time.

North side of my house has a fair selection of flashing spots where critters have dug out knots and tried to roost.

(I did leave the wasp nest alone until after it was abandoned. Those were some BIG looking wasps in there!)
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
You have to get to it, so it's either acquire a ladder (rent if you want to) and DIY it, or call a pest control company....quick!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You sure it plans to nest, or could it simply be a woodpecker going after carpenter bees or some other wood burrowing bug that has invaded the siding?  The former, seal it up quick...the later...and you need to eliminate the food source if you plan to have any luck with the birds.
How do I make sure that they are not in when I seal it up?  Can I spray ammonia or something that will tell them this is not the place to be?
I prefer a flashlight and a pair of eyes
Smile
Can you determine what kind of bird and make a suitable bird house for it to move into after it is evicted? This may prevent another hole in the siding.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
You sound like a democrat. LOL  No, I have not seen it.