Bird pecked a hole in siding
I would bet it is a Wood Pecker, My nephew has problems with them doing that on his cedar siding.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

pellet gun at night.
(04-10-2017, 05:20 PM)Cecil Wrote: I see you are from Chicago, so our country, red-necked solution would not help you at all.  Remington makes a very good scare-crow.

The problem either needs eliminated or mitigated.  I would say you are in mitigation mode, i.e. prevent the nest building.  The way I see it, you must climb.  You could rent a ladder.  However, it likely would be as cheap to hire someone, rather than rent equipment for such a small job.

He's in Chicago they are pros at that kind of stuff...   

Like mentioned it may be a woodpecker. We have had lots of them here this spring though they a stick to the telephone poles and are quite loud. 

I'd temp cover it with something he can't get through then repair later.
We had a woodpecker attack our trim boards. After I fixed the hole, I got a small piece of 2 x 2, drilled a slanted hole in it for a small flag and attached it near the hole. The waving flag kept him away from the hole and he found someone else house to tear up. A wind sock would work. Good luck. Took the flag down in a week or so.
to keep birds away I recommend a rubber snake. In a conspicuous place. I've done this twice and had a friend and an uncle recommend it to me. It works like a champ. They see the snakes and run. I've stopped swallows from building mud nests on my columns in front and birds from perching on a beam in back. After they're gone I've repaired a bunch of holes for customers. For repairs I just fill the small holes with puddy. The big ones I bore round with a hole saw and then plug with another hole saw cut out. I use PLpremium to glue. I put it on thick and then come back the next day and scrape and sand the excess. We call it giller. Glue and filler in one. Give it a try. I swear by the snakes. Hang one on a down spout.
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
Hang a snake on a downspout. Hanging a dead bird might work too but I'm sure SPCA might find issues with it.
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
Get as high as you can on a ladder, then use a pole with a little piece of wood just barely tacked on to it.

Coat the wood with an adhesive roofing type caulk and stick it over the hole.
(04-10-2017, 04:51 PM)Birdseye Bill Wrote: I have cedar siding and a bird made a hole and plans to nest.  I need help fast and would like to know your solution. Unfortunately, it's on the second story and don't really have a tall enough ladder. Thanks.

I think its
I have cedar siding and a woodpecker pecked a hole in it lookin for food.
without a ladder, and without calling a handyman, I think your best fix will come with a slingshot and balls of color matched caulk.
if you don't have a ladder that will get you up there to work comfortably , PLEASE don't try something that should start with,"hold my beer."
cept the slingshot and balls of caulk think.
(04-21-2017, 05:44 PM)tomsteve Wrote: I think its
I have cedar siding and a woodpecker pecked a hole in it lookin for food.
without a ladder, and without calling a handyman, I think your best fix will come with a slingshot and balls of color matched caulk.
if you don't have a ladder that will get you up there to work comfortably , PLEASE don't try something that should start with,"hold my beer."
cept the slingshot and balls of caulk think.

Gives me an idea for a product. Caulk filled paint balls. 

Now you don't even have to get out a ladder to caulk holes in your siding, you can just load these paintballs in your paintball gun and shoot them into place. Then you can have your local home center make up custom tinted paintballs to paint the house one paintball at a time....    And only sold on TV.......
(04-22-2017, 09:28 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Then you can have your local home center make up custom tinted paintballs to paint the house one paintball at a time....    And only sold on TV.......

Attach the paintball gun to a drone to get at those hard to reach places.  Hmmm!  I think you are on to something.  This will drive the HOA nuts
Laugh
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe