How to replace wood rot on facia?
While painting my house's exterior, I found wood rot on the facia at an outside corner--about 2".    The problem is it's behind the gutters.  I REALLY don't want to take down the gutters because it's 30' in one direction and probably 20' in the other.

I was thinking I could cut the gutter 1-2' on each side of the gutter, patch in some new wood, then use gutter seam sealant with the a section of gutter patch.  This is on the 2nd storey so the patches wouldn't be obvious.

Thoughts?
Take the clips out holding the gutter. Take enough out to allow the gutter to hang below the area you need to work on. It won't bend in half. You will be surprised you won't have to take too many out.
John T.
2 stories up. personally id say keep it simple as,welp, its 2 stories up. unless ya have scaffold set up.
seems you could do what youre thinking and use a slip joint on the seem. reads like ya have seamless gutters-" because it's 30' in one direction and probably 20' in the other."
so finding a slip joint in the same profile hopefully wont be hard.

not sure if your aware of it, but you should have a drip edge hanging over the facia to deal with,too.