Ready to scroll
I picked this DW788 up at an auction sans one blade clamp and the dust hose. I wanted to be able to use it sitting down so I made a simplified version of Steve Carmichael's Youtube stand. 

The dust hose has a reputation for being hard to put on. Some people heat it with a hair dryer, boil it, and/or lubricate it. I came up with a simpler way that doesn't require either heat or lubrication. I used a Loc Line 1/4" kit that comes with two short pieces of line. First of all, straighten the pieces by simply rolling them with your hands on a flat hard surface.  Cut two pieces of 1/2" thin wall (NOT schedule 40) PVC about 1/2" longer than the lines. Place a 7/16" open wrench between the first and second segments of a line (the first segment being the one you are trying to press onto the fitting). Slide one of the pieces of PVC onto the line and snug up to the wrench face. If the line is sticking out of the PVC, the PVC is too short. You want the line to be about 1/2" inside the PVC. Now simply line the flaired end of the first segment up with the fitting and give the other end of the PVC a good whack (I used a dead blow hammer).  The PVC presses of the face of the wrench, which presses of the flaired segment and --it's on! Don't take the PVC off yet. It's to stay on while you fasten the second line to the first using the same procedure. Then simply tap on the nozzle, slide both pieces of PVC off---and you're done.

Papa Jim

I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Clever fix.

Is this your first scrollsaw or are you a scrolling vet?

The Dewalt is a nice saw, probably the best one on the market at it's price point.  It's very user friendly and should give you years of good service.

Have fun making sawdust!
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Fot the past 20 yrs or so I have been getting by with a 16" 2 speed Dremel that I picked up when Scottys went out of business. I just basically used it for pieces that were too dangerous to fabricate using the table saw or to small to use a jig saw. Now that I have a "real" scroll saw I'm going to have to learn what scroll sawing is all about!

Papa Jim
(04-12-2017, 10:56 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: Fot the past 20 yrs or so I have been getting by with a 16" 2 speed Dremel that I picked up when Scottys went out of business. I just basically used it for pieces that were too dangerous to fabricate using the table saw or to small to use a jig saw. Now that I have a "real" scroll saw I'm going to have to learn what scroll sawing is all about!

Papa Jim

if that be the case, you will be pleasantly impressed with the 788. its great for fretwork.
and might get addicted.
Smile
(04-12-2017, 10:56 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: Fot the past 20 yrs or so I have been getting by with a 16" 2 speed Dremel that I picked up when Scottys went out of business. I just basically used it for pieces that were too dangerous to fabricate using the table saw or to small to use a jig saw. Now that I have a "real" scroll saw I'm going to have to learn what scroll sawing is all about!

Papa Jim

One of the cool aspects of scrolling is that there are several distinct styles of projects that can only be done on a scroll saw.  You can specialize in any of them or try a variety.  You should never have reason to be bored with the scroll saw.  But beware, like tomsteve said, it can be addicting.

Feel free to visit the website that I link below.  It is for the scroll saw club I belong to and will give you a taste of some of the stuff you can make with a scroll saw.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I have made quiet a few decorative boxes, but the lids have always been limited to geometric patterns.

I'm thinking intarsia could change all that!

Papa Jim
Intarsia will definitely will open up possibilities.  If you want to really expand your horizons, check out Carole Rothman's boxes.

These are just a couple examples;

[Image: il_340x270.893573218_rsqt.jpg][Image: Petal-Box-Sanding-Video.jpg]

Jim, glad you got it worked out. You will love that saw, awesome easy blade changes, I really like the tilted table, it is just natural for me. LOML loves it too, She actually uses it more than I do. Hopefully my hose keeps going, but if I need to swap it I know how to do it easier.

Just so I have it in my head right yours is a type 2 and it was 1/4", and mine is a 1, and also 1/4" so that part is same same regardless of age.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(04-12-2017, 04:28 PM)Steve N Wrote: Jim, glad you got it worked out. You will love that saw, awesome easy blade changes, I really like the tilted table, it is just natural for me. LOML loves it too, She actually uses it more than I do. Hopefully my hose keeps going, but if I need to swap it I know how to do it easier.

Just so I have it in my head right yours is a type 2 and it was 1/4", and mine is a 1, and also 1/4" so that part is same same regardless of age.

Right! And the Loc Line 1/4' kit for about $9 does the trick.
I'm going to see if I can find Steve Carmichael's Youtube stand. Depending on how things go, I may have some questions for you about stand features and do's/don't's. I have two scroll saws. I want stands for both. One has a crummy, metal framed stand. The other is without a stand.
One idea I'd like to do is a stand with a tilting top. If I tilt my scroll saw table, I'd like to be able to tilt the whole machine and saw on a level table. I don't know if I'll like that, or how it's going to go.