High gloss polishing, having some issues
Well at the advice of a member on this forum, I sanded down a shellac finish that I had applied too thickly, and it seems to have hardened better lower down in the finish. I tested a decent-sized spot on my project to see what it would look like when I had sanded up to 12,000 grit (micro mesh), as I want a high gloss finish. What I got was a medium gloss. I can very clearly see my reflection in the finish, but it's still a bit "cloudy" when reflecting lights. I tried taking it back down to 6,000 grit again and sanding for longer, and I did the same with 8,000 and 12,000 grit. Again, it's still a medium gloss.

I will say that I tried using my ROS with the micro mesh disks, and the surface I'm sanding is a 5/32" thick bass drum shell (20" in diameter and 15" in depth), so there is quite a bit of vibration going on. The quality of the finish is really good overall...other than some small surface flaws (which at this point I'm willing to live with since I've spent WAY too much time on this finish) the scratch pattern is uniform. Still, I'm not getting that "wet" gloss look like I want. I like how shellac feels when sanded, but I also want it to look as shiny as when it's applied.

Do you think the ROS just isn't the right tool for this? I know I can buy micro mesh pads that will fit on my sheet sander, which is what I used to sand the surface with 400 grit without getting any linear sanding marks, so would that potentially do a better job (especially since it doesn't vibrate the entire shell like the ROS)? Or is 12,000 grit not the finest grit out there? The finish is hard enough to polish, and IIRC 12,000 grit is supposed to give a high gloss, so what's going on? I can post pictures if needed, but I think the description I gave is good enough. I really want a mirror clear finish. What's going on?
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
When I want a super high gloss finish I use an automotive polishing compound like Scratch-X, but I only do high gloss on turned items.

I'm pretty sure there is a technique with rottenstone or pumice and MS to get a high gloss French polish, but I have only used the technique to get a satin finish.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I have only read about French Polishing when it comes to high gloss with shellac. Might be worth your while to read up on it.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Steve's post above reminded me of some polish I've had for quite some time (Behlen's Buffers Polish), which I tried tonight. I only used a standard paper towel to buff it on and off the place where I sanded to 12,000 grit, and it did make the finish clearer. However, I did get some scratches, most likely from the paper towel. I'm guessing a dedicated polishing cloth would help reduce those scratches, right? I think I can do the polishing by hand, as my buffer might be too aggressive to use on a 5/32" thick drum shell, especially one that's 20"x15".
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser