Joining A Mitered Corner
I made a similar sized frame with ~1/2" oak glued into an L-shape profile. Butterfly keys in each corner with dovetailed brackets across the back. Here it is laid out to mark the tail mortises:

[Image: big%20frame_zpsaycqqezm.jpg]
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Spline.  

[Image: 61hktTksBtL._SX522_.jpg]

Use a biscuit cutter for router.  The frame is big, so take the tool to the work.

Like Dennis said, it is overkill, but it works.  If you take your tool to the work it is not unwieldy.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Tom, that is a great structure you've built. Support like a bridge. Bravo.

I agree that size is a tool to the work job, unless you do as John suggested and use a horizontal mortiser, you can go into the end of a phone pole, if you can lift it, and your bench will support the weight.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I prefer to use a slip feather.
Wood is good. 
I made a 4' X 4' frame for a friend to hang his map in.
I reinforced the corners with flat L-brackets sunk into hand chiseled mortises cut across the corners created after the frame was glued together.
It worked fine.
Slipfeathers we're too difficult to handle on this large a frame.
YMMV.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.