Latest rust haul
While waiting for yard sale season to kick in to full gear here in the Midwest, I managed to find a pretty decent group of tools on ebay last week. Nothing rare or valuable, and they all need some major de-rusting, but a nice group of user-grade tools nonetheless. A set of Irwin auger bits, a Millers Falls hand drill, pair of Stanley 18 knuckle joint cap block planes, Stanley sweetheart sliding T bevel, set of German-made chisels, Stanley try square, and a hand saw jointer. This willl give me something to do over the weekend.

Attached Files Image(s)

Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
Good score.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I like the all metal try squares, because they're more stable, and will usually check inside and outside both.
You did great!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thanks. I cleaned up the square and the sliding bevel. There were a few spots of pitting, but neither one looks like it was used much. It's a shame that someone let these tools get so rusty.

I've always been partial to the wood and brass try squares just because I find them more attractive. But I have to admit that for accuracy, I rely on my engineer's squares most of the time. This Stanley metal try square is sort of in between the two, and I like the Winterbottom style.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine