Dead bolt lock- no key?
Planning on cleaning out my BIL's house soon. He has two rooms that are locked with Schlafe deadbolts, and I can not find the keys. The doors swing out so I may be able to pull the hinge pins. If not can I drill the lick? Or use a saw all and cut the protruding bolt?

Any advice?

Drill just above the cylinder plug at 12 O'clock. Start with an 1/8" or so bit and work your way up. You'll be drilling right through the shearline of the pins.
“Political correctness is a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.”

(04-16-2017, 09:50 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Planning on cleaning out my BIL's house soon. He has two rooms that are locked with Schlafe deadbolts, and I can not find the keys. The doors swing out so I may be able to pull the hinge pins. If not can I drill the lick? Or use a saw all and cut the protruding bolt?  

Any advice?

You can do what was advised with drilling or if in a hurry a sawzall makes short work of a lock.  Use whatever you are comfortable with.  Better yet if you want to learn a new skill look up bump key on Youtube.  I have a couple of friends that have that mastered but for me the sawzall is my go to method
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob- you cut the bolt off? Not the body of the lock?

Most of the dead bolts I deal with sit proud of the door so I just cut them off like removing a wart.  I never go after the bolt it would cause damage to the wood.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Unless you have security hinges (doubtful) pull the pins and swing it out.  Roly
if you pull the pins be careful not to split the framing where the bolt penetrates so do it slowly and listen for it

Phil Thien

I'd start with doing the simplest thing which is to remove the hinge pins.  As has already been pointed out, be mindful of any potential damage to the door and frame.  Then I'd attack the lock (which I've never done) in the manner that was suggested previously.

Be sure to let us know what treasures are beyond the door!

Good Luck!
(04-16-2017, 09:50 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Planning on cleaning out my BIL's house soon. He has two rooms that are locked with Schlafe deadbolts, and I can not find the keys. The doors swing out so I may be able to pull the hinge pins. If not can I drill the lick? Or use a saw all and cut the protruding bolt?  

Any advice?

Well once you remove the hinges and the door from the jamb/frame I would just look at the inside of the door and if the thumb turn exists unscrew it and remove the deadbolt. if it happens to be a double bolt I would search the room you just removed the door from for a spare key......... if all that fails then I would attack it with a sawzall or a bump key 

KIS 

JME
Wink
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I am sure they are not two sided deadbolts. As for treasures, one room is s smaller closet in his garage. There won't be much excitement to be found there. The other room is amout 6 by 8- he was an avid fly fisherman. I expect to find a half dozen or so very high end fly rods and reals and a small spirtshop's wirth of spinning rods and such. My BIL never was afraid to spend money on himself. Add to that being a hoarder of sorts, and extremely paranoid. Should be a fun time clearing out his place. He is in poor health, living in an assisted living place now. It has been almost 2 years since he lived at his home. Time to move forward.