Dead bolt lock- no key?
If you want to save the locks and be able to use them again, a locksmith would be another cjoice.
If they are clearing the house for rent or sale dead bolts on bed rooms send a strange message
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

The dead bolts are not on bedrooms- one closet in the garage, one larger storage room in the upper floor over the garage, ska workshop. Will try pulling the pins. If not, sawsall

If they have a thumb turn, the screws are on the inside. They could also have plugs over the screws that disassemble the lock, for a keyed both sides deadbolt...or a cover that twists to expose the screws.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(04-16-2017, 09:50 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Planning on cleaning out my BIL's house soon. He has two rooms that are locked with Schlafe deadbolts, and I can not find the keys. The doors swing out so I may be able to pull the hinge pins. If not can I drill the lick? Or use a saw all and cut the protruding bolt?  

Any advice?

My father's neighbor accidentally locked their infant son in the house and could not find their key.  Frantically they asked my father to break into the house.  He did so by grabbing a large hammer and whacking off the door knob and the bolt.  Then he fished in with a screwdriver.  It took less time to break in than it took to get the hammer.

I was a youngster at the time and I could not see what he did after he whacked off the knobs, so I cannot give more directions.  And those houses were built in 1956, so locks may have changed.  

They later put new locks on the existing doors so I assume that there was no damage to the door itself.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
dont deadbolts just slide into a pocket in the casing? if so, seems you could pull the hinge pins and just slide the door out with the deadbolt still in the lock position.

schlage deadbolt here. not sure if a shlafe is the same.
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

the issue with deadbolts is they go pretty far into the structure, as previously mentioned by someone and as can be seen in that pic.  So it's pretty easy to split the door trim and make a mess if you pull the hinge pins.  Although that is the one non-destructive line of attack.  OTOH, does it really make sense to have a deadbolt on these room?  If not, destroying them is just fine.

I feel like a good deadbolt is going to resist a brute-force attack. Not sure Schlage makes a good deadbolt though
Ok, this thread was started last April.

And there is no update from the OP.

What was behind the locked doors?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Mark- due to strange family dynamics the doors are still locked. This is my BIL’s place. My wife and I are/we’re eager to clear the place out. The only other sibling, the middle child ( sister) and her husband balked. We are in a holding pattern

BIL is still living, but in an assisted living place

A crappy quality video but the information seems solid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LtmmhJiHuA

Also there are a million videos on how to defeat a deadbolt:

https://www.google.com/search?q=breaking...66&bih=662

This guy picks a deadbolt open in under one minute.  And makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GS23gk56H8
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.