Poll: Wood type
Hardwood
Softwood
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
bench wood species?

Is your bench made of softwood or hardwood?
Which species did you choose and why?
  Re: bench wood species? by mound (Is your bench made o...)
European beech because the Germans (at Ulmia factory) said so.
My Ulmia is Euro beech and my home made bench is made from Eastern maple and yellow birch. I wouldn't use soft wood as it's too easily damaged.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Long leaf pine heartwood, reclaimed from an late 1800's farm house. It's beautiful and I had a lot of it in very long and thick pieces....

Classified as a "soft" wood but the tools would argue that.....

-- mos maiorum
Honey Locust.....DON'T GO THERE!

Yup, it's hard & strong, that's where the good points end.

Unpredcitable grain changes and it moves....like a hooker in church.

Got the logs dirt cheap, milled them myself just for the workbench. If I would've taken the money I spent on beer while making it, Hard Maple would've been free.

Ed
SYP.

Don't use reject oak like I did, it made things way harder then they needed to be.
One of my benches is made from Rock Maple butcher block. About 3" thick, 5' long, and 2' wide.
It weighs about 250 lbs or so. I made another one for my garage from 2 layers of 3/4" exterior plywood.
My butcher block bench is over 60 years old. It has it's share of dents & dings, but nothing wrong with it.
What are you people? On dope?
I used maple for the top, about 4" thick and then ran out of wood, so I had to make the legs out of 16/4 walnut. I was very happy at first when I pegged it all together, but six months later I've noticed the maple is not flat having dived 1/2" at the ends where it overhangs the legs.

Make sure your wood is very dry, lest you are ready to suffer the pain of warp.
Top, one piece 17"w-58"l-3 1/4"th pine. Why? cause thats what I had. Only got it built a few months ago and I'd like for it to been longer, other than that I'm satisfied with the results.
Top is Ash because I had a good cheap supply of it.  Legs are cherry with walnut stretchers.  Cherry I already had so was "free".  Walnut came from the old bench that this bench replaced so was also free.
~ Chris