Oak Stair Treads: make or buy?
I'm seeing pricing at about $25 for a 36" tread. which exceeds $8/bd ft. You should be able to buy Oak cheaper if you can get it in 5/4 or so. With my local supply is difficult to get anything other than 4/4. I can't get rough either.

I'd start with figuring out if the OP has a decent source of wood first. If not, its a moot point.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Another place to check is local staircase builders...I bought treads (5/4 oak nothing fancy) and return nosing a while back for a bit more than the big box stores. The difference was the grain and color was consistent compared with the retail stores.
I am facing the same thing. I found that floors decor sells treads much cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes. Their price makes it worth buying them instead of making them.

Grainraiser
Drop all your preconceived conclusions behind and open yourself to everything and everyone. Remember, the usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness.
I lean towards the buy camp but I'm busy with kids. I bought RO treads for my last house at the BORG and it was a no brainer for me. I had plenty of other stuff to keep me busy. If you're staining the treads the differences in natural wood tone isn't bad IMO.