Need opinion on new siding
We just had new vinyl siding installed on three sides of the house.  Two sides look fine but when they were working on the last one, they were in hurry and it shows.  

a) the back of the attached garage has a section about 20' wide with now windows or doors.  The siding pieces on that part sag in the center about 1/2' - 1".  It's not visible looking directly at it but becomes obvious when seen from the side.  Is this acceptable?  I would think not, but I don't want to appear picky.

b) the vinyl blocks for exterior light fixtures are not centered on the electrical boxes behind them.  Some are off by as much as 1".   So it's not possible to mount the fixtures to the boxes.  I would have to screw them them to the vinyl blocks and provide a separate ground.  Again, I am being too picky here?

The job has just been finished and only about 30%  paid for so far so I have some leverage with the contractor.

Thanks for any input.
I dont find the sagging siding acceptable. The light fixtures also. That sagging siding in a strong wind may unlock from lower piece. I would get the company rep out there and discuss it with him, and hold back payment till he looks it over.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(04-18-2017, 11:29 AM)WoodCzech Wrote: a) the back of the attached garage has a section about 20' wide with now windows or doors.  The siding pieces on that part sag in the center about 1/2' - 1".  It's not visible looking directly at it but becomes obvious when seen from the side.  Is this acceptable?  I would think not, but I don't want to appear picky.

b) the vinyl blocks for exterior light fixtures are not centered on the electrical boxes behind them.  Some are off by as much as 1".   So it's not possible to mount the fixtures to the boxes.  I would have to screw them them to the vinyl blocks and provide a separate ground.  Again, I am being too picky here?

A. Did you push up on the siding to see if it just isn't snapped in?

B. Watch this video. The blocks and junction boxes don't have to be lined up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqBxV-QM18
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

No way would I accept the sag. Period.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(04-18-2017, 12:29 PM)MsNomer Wrote: No way would I accept the sag.  Period.

Likewise
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

if that side with the sag is on a wall with an overhang/soffit, a 1/2-1" sag should be noticeable at the top- on the last course.
not acceptable in my book. if theres that much sag, theres something that wasn't done right(" they hurried")- something that might show through the seasons and maybe even in a wind storm.
I took a laser level to the siding and it definitely sags.  There are other, even longer areas on the house that are fine.  I think a different member of the crew did the sagging part.  I have talked to the business owner to make it known that I won't accept it the way it is, same with the fixture boxes.  Waiting to hear back from him after he talks with his crew.  I may pay him a part of the money if he asks but will definitely hold back something until all is resolved.  Maybe hold back 25%?
Don't pay him anything until he agrees to fix the issues IN WRITING, then MAYBE pay a portion and keep a good chunk back if you feel like he is being honest with you. I would not pay him another penny until its fixed to your satisfaction.