Sharpening stone question
The best most comprehensive treatment on sharpening media that I've seen is Ron Hock's book The Perfect Edge. I liked it because of the technical background and the why something works. As opposed to the "just use this this and this" advice.   You seem to not be afraid of the why. That said diamond seems to be changing the game from stones like you have. Waterstones next then oil stones are least efficient. 

I'm curious why your oil stone is dishing while flattening. The only thing I can think of  is a slurry is building up in the middle while flattening and not getting cleared away fast enough. Maybe use more oil or water in the slurry. That old binder in your stone is a question mark too. Let me know what works for you. My dad had a bunch of oilstones that he used for knife sharpeing. They are  too deeply dished for flattening any planes or chisels. I haven't bought a diamond flattening plate. That is my next step.
(05-07-2017, 11:08 AM)smithgl12 Wrote: The best most comprehensive treatment on sharpening media that I've seen is Ron Hock's book The Perfect Edge. I liked it because of the technical background and the why something works. As opposed to the "just use this this and this" advice.   You seem to not be afraid of the why. That said diamond seems to be changing the game from stones like you have. Waterstones next then oil stones are least efficient. 

I'm curious why your oil stone is dishing while flattening. The only thing I can think of  is a slurry is building up in the middle while flattening and not getting cleared away fast enough. Maybe use more oil or water in the slurry. That old binder in your stone is a question mark too. Let me know what works for you. My dad had a bunch of oilstones that he used for knife sharpeing. They are  too deeply dished for flattening any planes or chisels. I haven't bought a diamond flattening plate. That is my next step.
Many, if not most old stones found in the wild are hollowed badly because they were used so often..Many times when I want to restore them, I hold them flat on the platen of a stationary belt sander/grinder with a sharp silicon carbide belt..A couple of minutes on that machine can breathe new life into a worn out hone.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

OK thanks TW. I only have the Ridgid. OSS/belt sander. So I'd have to hold them kinda side ways but good idea. I'll try that. If that proves too awkward I may try the handheld belt sander.

(Wasn't trying to hijack the OP post, just saying I'm in the same boat. )
Make sure you use a GOOD dust mask, whatever powered method you use. Us "more seasoned (a bit older)" guys sometimes wish we had paid more attention to safety protection decades ago. For me, it is hearing.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Aluminum oxide stones are very good for their intended purpose. Everyone should have one in their shop. Use one all the time for sharpening my pocket knife.