How to blacken ther marking on a ruler?
On the other hand, for a white etch against a dark background, I use White-Out. Cover it over; dry; wipe off the excess.  Use it especially for disappearing etches on my laptop keyboard.

Whatever method you try, for best results you might need to clean the ruler first. There may be oil, even from your own skin, in those crevices that will diminish adhesion.
Ray
Cleaning and degreasing the ruler was first thing I did. So far using plain sharpie marker worked best, but still not ideal. Unfortunately, it requires frequent reapplication. May by I should clear coat it ;-)
At the risk of sounding like a commercial for our webmasters, the 6 &12" rule set from the Woodsmith Store is pretty good for $25.  Or you can just order the 6" by itself for $13.  What I especially like about them is that they have inch markings on both edges - no having to flip the rule over.

Woodsmith Store 6 &12" rules
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
I've used lacquer sticks from Brownell's on several firearms. I'd think it would work well on a ruler if it's been degreased.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...d7778.aspx
We used to use finger nail polish to mark our printing press units.
(04-21-2017, 07:17 AM)3finger Wrote: At the risk of sounding like a commercial for our webmasters, the 6 &12" rule set from the Woodsmith Store is pretty good for $25.  Or you can just order the 6" by itself for $13.  What I especially like about them is that they have inch markings on both edges - no having to flip the rule over.

Woodsmith Store 6 &12" rules

Woodsmith no longer owns this site they sold it a year ago and that is why we have the new look.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Looks to be some very shallow etchings, probably chemical or electro-chemically made.

Maybe try some lacquer paint, let it dry then use a razor scraper to take off the excess. Give the paint in the etching a chance to get a good hold first.

Mike "Dodis"
Gun bluing. Apply over the whole ruler, then very lightly sand with 600 grit wet dry sandpaper. The same approach works to restore saw etchings. It won't be as dark as the original, but it should work. If the markings on the ruler were not etched to begin with, you won't be able to restore them. Some less expensive rulers have the measurements silk screened. When those wear off, they are gone.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-19-2017, 03:03 PM)jlanciani Wrote: ...... you need to use enamel paint; paint the whole ruler and wipe it off with a rag on a block of wood. It will leave the enamel in the etch and remove the rest.

Did you try this method? Seems plausible to me. I have several rulers that need the same treatment and I like the idea of using it on sockets also. Let us know what eventually works best for you, please.

Doug