Odd top attachment
I built a cherry table top that is about 5' x 3 1/2'. The base is going to be made up of galvanized pipe. The pieces that will attach to the top are below:
[Image: desk.jpg]
Originally I was just going to elongate the holes across the grain to allow for movement, but I'm starting to wonder if I should use all 4 of the holes on each one, or something different all together. Appreciate any advice.
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
There'd be no problem across the small distances between screw holes. Is there any sort of stretcher between the legs? How far away from the top. My guess is that the pipe will flex enough that the movement shouldn't cause you any grief.
I agree with MODSE, you should hav no problems at all with such closely spaced fixings.  If you plan on moving it much, it might be worth considering embedding threade inserts in the table top which could then be used to fix the top via hex screws.  This would facillitate disassembly for transport and also be stronger than simple wood screws into the top.

Jim
There is a stretcher about 6" or so from the floor running the long direction. And a vertical support in the center attaching to the center of the table as well as the 4 at each corner. I like the idea of the threaded inserts.
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm