Packing up shop using professional movers
My wife's new job will have us moving overseas in January 2018. Although we don't know the exact housing situation at this location, I know I won't have space to bring my big tools. Her job will pay to pack up and store any stuff that we don't bring with us. For liability reasons, though, we're not allowed to pack any of our things ourselves but people have confirmed the movers are generally OK with the homeowners placing items in clear plastic Rubbermaid-like tubs which I plan on doing for as much of my shop as possible.

Anyone else go through a similar move where you weren't allowed to pre-pack?

I still have the pallet my combo jointer/planer came on so I'll ask them to use that. I can get pallets from work for my table saw and band saw. The combo machine cost enough that I can request special storage for it, but the TS and BS need to protected from rust. Coat it liberally with Johnson's paste wax and then a cotton sheet? I've heard varying stories if I'm allowed to break down equipment at all before they arrive. I'll ask the moving guy about this when they come for a pre-pack.

At the minimum we'll be overseas for 2 years. If it's a lifestyle we like, it could extend to another 10+ years with some US work sprinkled in when we'll have to receive everything back out of storage until we ship out again. There could be posts where the housing might be big enough to setup the whole shop, but who knows. Compatible electricity would probably be the issue at the point.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
When we moved across the country my wife's new company paid for it like yours is. They had the same rules yours do. You can pack all you want however you want, they just won't take responsibility. It's a bit of a tough spot though because I didn't want anybody else packing some of my tools. I did some Pre packing like tape on chisel ends. Biggest thing I did was break down some machines for transport for up and down stairs. Like unbolt the 8" jointer top from base, remove TS wings, etc. then they packed it all from there.
Two years in storage in a very long time.  Even longer is a definite question mark.

I would be making an investment in either Cosmoline or LPS-3 right now.  I'd also invest in a bulk bag of desiccant packs. 

And if I had anything that was small enough to fit into a tub, I'd put it in there (like tablesaw wings).  Anything else I cared about I'd crate.  The lighter stuff can go in cardboard boxes. 

Take a HARD look at your tool situation and pare it down as much as you can.
I spent two years in Australia-stored all my tools in my fiancés garage, in middle TN.
I used paste wax, and Boeshield on everything. I put a bedsheet and piece of plywood on any exposed cast iron, (mostly, so I could stack things on top)
The areas that were covered were just fine, despite the temperature and high humidity swings.
The only damage was where some critter got in the garage, and relieved itself.
My thugs were only in storage for a few months but I didn't touch a darn thing. I figured that's what I (my company) was paying them for. My movers did a much better job packing than I do as I had no breakage from the movers...not so successful when I did it on my own. My only concern would be oiling and waxing on my own first. I would have no concerns with the movers.

Congrats on the move. Sounds like a fun opportunity.
-Marc

I did this 20 years ago and coated all the raw cast iron surfaces with wheel bearing grease liberally then wrapped in 4 mil plastic sheet and two years later had no rust or trouble I waxed all the cabinets of table saw band saw jointer etc all other tools were packed in cardboard boxes stored off of the concrete floor  in a non heated storage building in the Midwest no problems.
Good luck with your move.
Tim
Since it will be 2 to 10 years you might want to consider selling your large stationary tools rather than storing. I moved interstate about 4 years ago and my new home had no space to store most of my large tools. I admit I wasn't overly attached to them individually and figured I could acquire better ones once I could build a workshop at my new home. I got a lot of pleasure out of the excitement from the buyers getting a good deal on tools I had lovingly cared for and I ultimately got 75 to 80 cents on the dollar for what I paid for them. I got WAY more pleasure out of using these tools than the cost for the 5 to 10 years I used each one, and knowing another woodworker would continue using them rather than letting them sit in storage just seemed like the right thing to do. I just finished building a new workshop and s soon as I can get the concrete floor epoxied in the next couple weeks I can move in the Unisaw and Drum sander I did keep and start acquiring what I want to outfit my dream shop. I probably saved a good deal by not paying for storage and it felt like I was paying it forward to give another woodworker the chance to have a bargain and not let good machinery sit idle. You may find that you can re-invest the cash in a shop while overseas so this approach may be one you might want to give some thought to.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
Followup question.

What about the belts on these machines? Do I need to de-tension them so the pulleys/bearings don't warp or deform from sitting in one spot for years and years? I'm not sure if this happens or not. If they're packed up for 10 years, am I looking at replacing all the belts?
Had a major move 4 years ago. Movers handled everything. No problems at all. Seemed like their policy was to overprotect, figuring the extra materials and labor was cheaper in the long run than settling claims for damaged contents. As to storage I would follow the sugestions above. As to belts I would remove them and probably plan on replacing if you are away for 10 years. Good luck on the move.
Moving all the tools for just two years (That will go by fast) and then facing the possibility of moving them again is more than I would want to get involved in, but I have a lot of tools.
I would try and extend, if possible, the offer to pay for the moving of the tools for two years until I knew I was going to stay another 10.

Storage costs vs moving costs/inconvenience = ?