Let's talk about Water vs Oil Based polys
(04-23-2017, 12:44 AM)Harold O. Wrote: True that. After a short time, one looses the skills to even apply a decent oil or lacquer-based finish. When traveling to Arizona, I make a point of picking up some brush-on lacquer for specific projects. My state is dumbing down both user and end-user of quality products.

WB products are the future, whether you like it or not.  I won't get into the enviro-politics of it, but that's where new products are going so you have to learn, adapt, and be willing to try new things.  Personally, I haven't found the transition to be too painful and in many ways WB products are far superior.  No risk of explosion when you spray them, fast drying and far faster curing compared to OB products, dead clear when you want it, easy to adjust the color with WB dyes when you want color, and more. 

John
I shot solvent based precat for quite a while and occasionally used OB wiped on poly for pieces needing higher durability. I shot a farm table I made with TT dye, seal coat and then GF Enduro clear satin poly. The table turned out gorgeous and I feel I lost little to nothing in regard to durability, color and grain pop. Shellac gives you a very good enhancement. I don't have the patience or tolerance for a slow drying OB finish that sucks in dust particles and needs rubbed out when finished. I don't like slow dry anything anymore. I don't like stinky off gassing or solvent based clean up. I feel the same way with enamel paints. Give GF clear Enduro poly a try if you're set up to spray. Ben Moore Advance is great if you're looking for a paint. I know your post is about clear top coats but I will never touch another OB enamel paint for as long as I live. We are lucky we have so many choices as woodworkers today.