Road Trip pick
Stopped at a little store today, browsed through a BUNCH of Rusty & Krusty...stuff....I  did find one item that MIGHT be usable..

Price was marked as a dollar, got a little bit off, down to 75 cents...

11-3/4" long,  a 1" wide gouge.  Got back home, and into the Rehab Shop..

Looks a little better?  Handle needed a thick coat of BLO, as it was a bit too dried out..

Hope I got the bevel fixed up, and sharpened correctly.

As the old one was a bit...crooked.  

For $0.75...I think it will just have to do...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Man, haggling a chisel down 25 cents...........you must be a cheap guy.
Big Grin  Just throw a buck on the counter and be grateful you found one for that price.

Did you sand the handle?  I've often wondered why a handle like that couldn't be sanded, coated with your stain, then rattle canned painted with clear poly.  Works for me with my hand saw rehabs and other wooden handled tools.  Too me BLO feels sticky until it dries a month after you apply it.
Did not sand the handle...too many "details" in the handle I wanted to keep...

I wipe on, wait a bit, then wipe off the excess BLO/Stain.   It's quite dry.  

I handed the fellow four quarters, he gave me back one.
Now that's what I call

A great place to shop!
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Now comes the "fun" part.....trying to figure out who made this gouge.....

handle style matches a Buck Brothers chisel I have, other than the steel ferrel, instead of the brass one.   Same leather  washer on the end of the handle..   other than being a bit larger in size, the handle is almost exactly the same shape.  

Hmmm
Confused ....a Buck Brothers 1" wide gouge?   And NOT the Home Despot  Buck Brothers line, either....may be way older than HD?Still, for $0.75....I guess it will just have to do...
Rolleyes
Pictures of my confirmed Buck Brothers chisels ( with the "Stag" logo) alongside the "mystery" gouge...

And a couple views of the two mallet driven chisels

Could almost be twins...

Seems the "new" 1" gouge is by Buck Brothers....
Yes