Sewer drain help
Sad 
Every so often we get a backup in the main drain line, I ran a camera down the line and found the problem. It's not far in, but it's right under the outside wall of the house, and the way the house is landscaped there is no way to get at the pipe from inside or out without major construction.

The problem is at the junction of two pipes, one is white PVC, the other is black ABS. The white flows towards the black. The problem is that the black pipe has a rim that is slightly above the white, IOW they don't meet properly. Any thoughts of an out-of-the-box solution? My first thought, if I could find it. was a liquid plastic (or that rubber stuff they sell on TV) to make a "ramp" between the two pipes, but it would have to be able to flow through a tube to the location. Yeah, not a great idea. but the only one I have a the moment.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I suspect any diy solution will be temporary at best, and cause major issues down the road at worst.
I would check with a pro on this one.

Digging is the only way to reconnect the two pipes.  Sounds like they came apart.    They make a special cement to attach PVC & ABS together regular PVC glue will not work.     A Fernco coupling will work also and probably a better option for a lasting repair.   Roly
It may be possible to do a reline and even out the transition. It's not a DIY option. I would call in a company that does said work and ask. If the joint is actually separated this is not a good choice.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I would be very surprised if the difference in wall thickness of  a PVC pipe versus a ABS pipe would be enough to cause a blockage.  If it does then the rest of the pipe opening must be very very small!  I think your problem lies elsewhere.
(04-23-2017, 01:06 PM)DRAHandyman Wrote: I would be very surprised if the difference in wall thickness of  a PVC pipe versus a ABS pipe would be enough to cause a blockage.  If it does then the rest of the pipe opening must be very very small!  I think your problem lies elsewhere.

My old house had the original stack of all ABS. It ran across the basement ceiling then turned down the wall and exited to the septic about 4' from the floor. Before we bought the house someone had modified things and connected PVC to ABS. It's possible the pitch wasn't quite right but twice in 10 years there I had to clear blockages because TP or other solids got caught on that transition and over time built up and blocked 1/2 of the house. I ended up replacing the ABS with PVC from that point to after it turned vertical
(04-22-2017, 01:43 PM)Scouter Wrote: Every so often we get a backup in the main drain line, I ran a camera down the line and found the problem. It's not far in, but it's right under the outside wall of the house, and the way the house is landscaped there is no way to get at the pipe from inside or out without major construction.

Explain this some more. How deep is the line and what landscaping is a problem?

Whatever you do without a direct assault on the real problem is a bandaid that will not survive long.

Have you had a plumber come out and assess?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(04-22-2017, 01:43 PM)Scouter Wrote:  the way the house is landscaped there is no way to get at the pipe from inside or out without major construction.

Sometimes life can be a PIA.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15