Hmmmmmm T-Mac, say it's not so
Pocket screws are fine. I usually try and use them where they are not too visible
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Tom, I know all of that. My only point is T-Mac walks on water in most of the people here's eye. While Scott Phillips is a hack, not worth watching, and most recently due to his use of a Kreg Jig, which is a shown sponsor. Prior to that it was Ape glue, also a shown sponsor. I am happy to see you and A few others post responses that would reflect these guys have people paying their rent, and those people expect to see their products used.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(04-23-2017, 10:50 AM)Steve N Wrote: Tom, I know all of that. My only point is T-Mac walks on water in most of the people here's eye.

Laugh
Laugh  If he lost buoyancy and sank, I sure wouldn't notice.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-23-2017, 10:50 AM)Steve N Wrote: Tom, I know all of that. My only point is T-Mac walks on water in most of the people here's eye. Wh

(04-23-2017, 11:32 AM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Laugh
Laugh  If he lost buoyancy and sank, I sure wouldn't notice.

He's in a boat, in my book. Talented guy for sure, but the second coming, not.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Laugh 

I also agree he is talented, probably more so than a lot of us here. But I don't have enough time allotted in my time sink to watch him anymore.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I think they are alright under certain conditions. Built in cabinets are fine, provided they aren't seen on the outside. A piece of furniture that is purely functional, and not meant to be a heirloom. What I mean is something like a kid's toy box, that will be used and abused, and used up.
Say it wasn't seen, and provided as good a hold as other methods, why couldn't they be used on an Heirloom piece?

GW
(04-23-2017, 08:08 PM)Steve N Wrote: Say it wasn't seen, and provided as good a hold as other methods, why couldn't they be used on an Heirloom piece?

Heirloom implies generations of use, at least in my mind.  Sort of like the Schwarz fascination with using nails as joinery, as truly antique nailed pieces in good shape are few and far between (at least from my antique store viewing), and that's because they fell apart.  Mortise and tenon construction is still used because its time proven, but that's only my opinion, so if I want to make something truly heirloom it will be M&T, which is also not seen (unless through tenons are used).

Not at all, by a longshot, in context with the TommyMac technique, but I was in a small store in Far Hills/Bedminster, a stone's throw from Trump's golf course in NJ, where they were selling "reproductions" of farm tables, pie safes, side tables and corner cabinets made from "reclaimed pine" by some Amish guy from Lancaster PA for prices ranging from $700 to $1800. "Carriage Trade" type millennial customers with more money than sense.  Saleslady was mighty proud of the furniture, so I gave them the once over.  Finish was terrible, and all were constructed with butt joints secured by pocket screws, and with metal brackets secured with drywall 
No  screws for holding the legs on.  Drawers were a full 3/4" stock, butt joint bradded in front (likely glued too) and drywall screwed in the back, together with 1/4" luan bottoms nailed to the bottom, and rode on  strips of pine such that they tipped down when opened.  Now, none of these "joinery" methods showed either, but the end result of poor construction by someone will give them a life span of perhaps one furniture move, like the pressboard Ikea furniture, which falls apart if you put it in a moving truck.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Why the fuss? I thought the woodworking world ended when Norm admitted to using a couple of brads until the glue dried.
Rolleyes
(04-24-2017, 07:31 AM)Admiral Wrote: Heirloom implies generations of use, at least in my mind.  

Saleslady was mighty proud of the furniture, so I gave them the once over.  Finish was terrible, and all were constructed with butt joints secured by pocket screws, and with metal brackets secured with drywall 
No  screws for holding the legs on.  Drawers were a full 3/4" stock, butt joint bradded in front (likely glued too) and drywall screwed in the back, together with 1/4" luan bottoms nailed to the bottom, and rode on  strips of pine such that they tipped down when opened.  Now, none of these "joinery" methods showed either, but the end result of poor construction by someone will give them a life span of perhaps one furniture move, like the pressboard Ikea furniture, which falls apart if you put it in a moving truck.

By your definition, and made of wood, a flammable substance, which also could float away and be crushed in a flood, or blown to the next county in a tornado. Seems furniture has a lot going against it ever getting old enough to be an Heirloom. So if this POS you are describing did happen to make it 12 generations, don't you reckon someone would call it an Heirloom?

A lot of words, thoughts, descriptions, but mostly opinions go toward calling furniture an Heirloom piece. Just know in some really special museums, on some furniture pieces that most people ohhhhh, and ahhhhhhhh about there are sometimes screws, put in at an angle to catch exactly like a modern day pocket hole screw does. Always has been, and always will be a lot of ways to skin any of those Woodworking cats. Nothing says a person has to embrace them all in their work, but they do exist.

GW