Hardwood Supplier - Going Out of Business - Online Auction
All the fees on an auction like this are ridiculous. If I show up with a truck and a couple able bodies to load, I shouldn't expect to pay a penny over what the winning bid was. $25 to move a load of lumber a few hundered feet is crazy. Makes me want to get a forklift and follow around an auctioneer. Buyers premium, rigging fee, loading fee, jeeze...
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Had a local company buy a bunch of plywood at auction last summer. They paid as much for the forklift to load my trailer as he paid me to truck it. If I remember it was like $25.00 per lift. Still beats handling pallets of 3/4" hardwood ply, not to mention it was piled somewhere in the back of the factory.

Ken
Just a quick reminder that this auction ends on May 11th (this coming Thursday).

I'm reading the remarks made so far and I can guarantee that there is nothing to be suspicious about with this auction. This inventory was owned by a family hardwood lumber company that has been in business for four generations. You don't stay in business that long if you're not a reputable company.

According to the auctioneer, the reason that many lots do not have a bid yet (OR have very low bids) is primarily because (according to them) no one really makes a bid on auction items until the very last moment. You'll have to act quick on this to win the bidding.

This lumber is extremely high quality and the currently bid prices are waay under wholesale pricing for the exact same lumber... Make a bid today!

Thank You.
Well I waited it out and scored 3 small lots. I got some Ash, Yellow Birch, and African Mahogony. The Mahogny was my second choice becuase someone waited to, literally, the last minute to outbid me on the other lot of mahogony I was after. Prices really did go up in the last 24 hrs. I'm happy with what I got. Now we'll see how pickup goes... I'm prepared to haul all of it by hand. I think I'll bring a furniture moving cart to make things easier.

Glad you were able to get something and your happy with it. 
Yes

Personally, I dont think there were many very good deals....if your a production shop and could get something .60-70 cents on the dollar....maybe.  But like was said, auction wasnt for the hobby guy looking to get 75-100 feet of something. I really think they would have gotten 25% more if they broke up the lots....but I am not in the auction business, they are the pros and know what they are doing. 

All I really had my eye on was the bloodwood....from the tag, it appeared it came from Northwest hardwoods....but at $5 a foot or more when your done fooling with tax, buyers premium and paying the rigger to bring it out to your truck.....I really don't have the passion to warehouse 400 feet. That might be a lifetime supply for my business.  I was hoping it would stay in the $3 range....then it would be stupid not to get it. 

At the end of the day it is what it is.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I think there were some pretty good deals on the biggest lots but you'd need the cash to get them. I assume some production shops got most of them. The buyers premium and rigging fees really added a lot to the final price. If someone got a few big lots, it would add hundereds of dollars to the final price. I didn't get any amazing deals but I figure it about 50% off retail. I'll be taking the road trip from Duluth next Monday to pick up. I think i got 3 of the smallest lots in the auction.