Hardwood Supplier - Going Out of Business - Online Auction
Thanks I can work with that. Now we just have to see if it's worth it based on final price :-)
Has anyone been bidding on this lumber? In rough lumber a few of the lots are getting bid up but everything is still an absolute steal. We'll see if things get busier as the end of the auction nears. Luckily I live close enough to make an easy day trip for pickup and avoid any shipping hassle. Can anyone enlighten me on what the 10% buyers permium is all about?
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
10% buyers premium = winning bid plus 10% (this is how auctioneer makes money).

You may also owe sales tax so keep that all in mind when bidding. You also have to pay the rigger fee even if you load your truck yourself. Unless you are buying a machine riggers where it is needed they are like panhandlers with their hands out. Imho.
I wish I were clower
-Marc

I have my eye on 6 lots. Unfortunately, not a lot of what I need/or am willing to warehouse. 

Not worth bidding till the last day. With the amount of marketing I see around the net for this sale....prices will likely be silly high. Only saving grace is they kept many of the lots big instead of breaking them up. IMHO when there are 100-200 feet lots, it widens the buyers and raises the prices so maybe there is a chance. 

Not holding my breath. 

Some of their values are odd..... $11.40/bf for Paduak....$24/bf for wenge....$9.50/bf for jabota....$10 for birdseye maple (that isn't spectacular)....$4.50 for yellow birch....and my favorite....$4.60 for red oak. 
Not sure what they are basing those prices off......Rockler? Full blown retail?.....some are nowhere near what I pay wholesale. In the end its means nothing more than pushing people that dont know better and think they are getting a better deal than they are. 

Guess we will see where the chips fall.....the $25 loading fee is curious as well....will they let you hand load......or they want to use a lift and charge. All the auctions where I have bought lumber they normally bring it outside set it on the ground and its yours and your issue to load unless you have a flatbed trailer that they can set it on.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

For a lumber company to be having a going out of business sale with just a few lots of lumber and a few pieces of furniture, no equipment, no rolling stock, no shop supplies whatsoever, strikes me as odd. More like a clearance sale on oddball items that have been around way too long.
I was also surpised at the seller provided "retail value" numbers. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $2/BF for birch or oak. The lot size has me a bit torn as well. I think the best deals will be on the bigger lots but I don't really have the space to store 500+ BF of lumber even if it's a killer deal. I was looking at a few of the smaller lots but I bet they will be bid up the highest. As PackerGuy said, probably wait till the end to do some bidding.

I've seen several of the online auctions over the years and they all start out with ridiculously low prices on the wood and by the closing date they are way out of range. I'm not saying is not legit, just don't get your hopes up that you are going to get an entire load of exotic wood for next to nothing.
Frank, I hear what you're saying. I've been cautiously optomistic but am not getting my hopes up. Its a little wierd how a few lots are getting bid up and others aren't getting touched. Like the Teak that's almost to $1000. I expected everything to slowly creep up in price.

The $25 loading fee.

I won two large lots of wood at one auction (still have some left lol).
There was a charge for them to get a forklift and move your pile of wood next to your car so you could hand load it.
This particular place made it optional, but it was well worth the money to avoid walking back and forth to where your pile was stored.