anyone keep their planes in a drawer?
I'm thinking about doing that once I put a cabinet under my bench.  My current storage system just doesn't work, and I'm not sure I want to go with a till.
Yes I do keep my planes in a drawer. I have an old dresser that is a family heirloom. My brother had it before me and it was in his cellar so it was no longer good for clothes. I now have it in my shop with planes in it. I have the bigger ones toward the bottom. It works well.
A drawer works as well as anything. Go to a Pharmacy.  I don't know for sure what the name is but they get meds that has a product that absorbs humidity along with it in the container. It keeps the pills from sticking together. We had a pharmacist who belonged to our woodworking club, used to bring it in for us in a 5 gallon bucket.

Tom
It works for me - three drawers under the bench, with no special attention to rust prevention other than normal wipedowns occasionally. Never had a problen in ten years in a Houston garage and now 4 years in Maine. It's nice having them close...
Cliff
ex-TX, now Maine!
(04-24-2017, 02:18 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: A drawer works as well as anything. Go to a Pharmacy.  I don't know for sure what the name is but they get meds that has a product that absorbs humidity along with it in the container. It keeps the pills from sticking together. We had a pharmacist who belonged to our woodworking club, used to bring it in for us in a 5 gallon bucket.

Tom

When they refreshed our PC's at work, I grabbed dozens of the moisture absorbing packs.  I have 3 or 4 in every drawer and cabinet shelf in my shop. 

Right now my planes are in a box, but in the new shop, they likely will be in a drawer.  They were in a two door cabinet in the old shop.  The shop before that, they were in a drawer.

Time to stop moving !
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Mine are all in drawers in a cabinet I built that's under my workbench.  No issues with corrosion at all.  But, then again, I live in the desert.  I laid down the Ferro-Pak paper that came with the planes on the bottoms of all my drawers sort of like shelf paper.  No issues at all.  You can get new sheets of Ferro-Pak from Highland Woodworking. There are also anti-corrosion mats that are made for tool boxes that work.  Lee Valley is one source for those.  They look a lot like those textured mats you see in mechanics tool chests.  

Another thing you can do is put a small 1/4" strip of wood on one end of the drawer that will lift up one end of the planes so that the entire sole isn't in contact with the drawer bottom.  For good measure, I did put in a container of dehumidifier in each drawer.  You can also save those crystal packs that come with many new items that have moisture absorbing crystals in them and just throw them in each drawer. 

Finally, you should wipe down your planes every once-in-a-while with oil like camellia or jojoba and shake out or brush off the residual shavings and dust.  The dust and shavings are moisture-magnets, and that stuff tends to accumulate near the mouth where your blade is.  Rust on your plane body is usually a cosmetic defect, but on your blade it can eventually cause problems is left unchecked.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Drawers, plane till, or shelves: doesn't matter which variety of storage you utilize as long as you wax the sides and bottom of the planes, the rust will not appear. I've used bees wax on all of my planes right after buffing them to a shiny glow and they have yet to rust.
Tried drawers for awhile.....got to be too much to open and close a HEAVY drawer full of planes, just to pick out the next one I was going to use.....bottom started to sag.

I wax the soles with a candle, the rest of the bare metal was oiled.   been sitting in a til for quite a while now.   Only downside...there was a water line going through right overhead..
Mad ...have since moved the til...
Yes no more drips down onto the til...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
thanks for all the examples, it sounds like there is no good reason not to try it.  I would get high quality heavy duty drawer slides that stay open and stay closed as desired.
Late to the party: I've kept most of my tools in drawers for years, and it has worked out well.. Here is pic of planes organized using Kaizen foam: great stuff.

[Image: IMG_2728.jpg]