anyone keep their planes in a drawer?
My next remodel will be to add a couple floor to ceiling cabinets with banks of drawers for tools. Open shelves require too much cleaning
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I think you'll have much less rust issues if you use wooden drawers. I am also a big fan of the desiccant packs from the local pharmacy. The pharmacy is happy to get rid of them and you can toss a handful into each drawer. If you want, you can "recharge" them periodically in your microwave or just swap them out.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Nope, I like to have my tools in sight.

If I used drawers they would definitely have ball bearing slides.
(04-24-2017, 04:53 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Tried drawers for awhile.....got to be too much to open and close a HEAVY drawer full of planes, just to pick out the next one I was going to use.....bottom started to sag.

I knew my drawers would be heavy.  I used 100 lb rated ball bearing slides and 1/2" ply for the drawer bottoms.  No issues at all with sagging.  But yeah, there is a lot of opening and closing of drawers to get to planes.  I usually just pull the planes I need for a project and leave them on the workbench until the project or task is finished.  One other downside is if you forget to close the drawer, it becomes a chip/shaving/sawdust magnet.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have a Vidmar mechanic's toolbox that I put my planes in. And my router bits, chisels, files... lots of stuff. But those drawers could be used as a ladder they're so strong. But I'd say keep your eyes peeled for sales of a ball bearing tool cabinet. Some rubber or cork mat in the bottom and it's all good!
Benny

Small planes (block, router, shoulder, etc.) live in a drawer, and it works pretty well.  Bench planes live in cubbyholes under the bench, and I don't like the arrangement because the cubbyholes are deep enough that I have two tiers of the No. 5 and shorter planes, which kind of discourages reaching for the planes in the back tier.

My low-end fantasy (that is: I keep my existing, small shop) involves a cabinet of drawers customized to wooddorking tools, two or three of which drawers will be dedicated to planes.

My high-end fantasy is the shop equivalent of having [pick your really sexy celebrity] call me and offer to be my love slave.  Something, by the way, that the love of my life would not condone, nor, really, would I want that; LOML is plenty for me, for 47 years now.
I have an old dresser I rescued from the side of the road. It's my tool chest of drawers. The planes go in the bottom drawer.