Underlayment for laminate floor on sun porch?
My mother has a sun porch on the front of her house-- unconditioned space, with a lot of glass that makes the room very warm when the sun is out.  It's a basic block foundation on the ground, no insulation underneath.  Some sort of 2-by framing for the floor and walls.  Currently a very old tile floor (not ceramic or porcelain, but rather those thin tiles) that's very beat up.  She wants to put a laminate floor down  that looks like hardwood.  Some of the laminate has a foam type backing, but someone suggested tar paper or something as an underlayment between the existing tile and the new flooring.  
She's having a friend of hers do this-- think something should be put down or no?

Colin
actually, looked at the flooring she wants to put down-- it's laminate on both sides with an mdf core-- so no foam layer on the bottom as i originally thought.
The flooring manufacturer should have recommendations on whether or not underlayment is needed and what type.  Some types/brands of flooring require something like rosin paper as an underlayment between the subfloor and the flooring.  I've seen tar paper used as well.  Many types have the foam backing already on the flooring, so no underlayment is needed.  I'm not sure, but I think the main purpose is to help minimize squeaks.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I'd be taking the old tile up.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(04-25-2017, 08:04 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: I'd be taking the old tile up.

i'd like to, but i think that could get kind of nasty-- it's not thick porcelain or ceramic tile-- it's those thin sticky back ones... and they're OLD.  No idea how old, and also not sure if asbestos, so i'd like to avoid disturbing them