Lawn mower tire size question
I have a toro zero turn and I would like to put a wider tires on to get more traction.  Currently the tires are 18x7.50-8 and I would like to go to an 18x9.5-8.  Is this possible withought changing the wheels to a larger size?
Why not ask a Toro dealer or Toro if they have a customer service # or chat line.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I'll say no. Thats a big difference in width, the wider tires will balloon in the center and not be flat across the tread width.

Ed
The guys on the tractor forums typically replace their turf tires on riding mowers with tractor tread type tires. Not sure how that would work on on a zero turn as they already can tear up a lawn if you aren't careful. 

There are better traction turf tires available. Years ago when I worked at my friends  mower shop on the side we only used Carslile tires. I hated changing tires... My rider is only a couple years old and I'm starting to look at tires for it. The tires they use now wear quickly and are not very good quality it's like buying a new car as new cars have crap tires on them that only last about two years. 

Take a look over at my tractor forum. Lots of good info there. FYI toro mowers are made by MTD so info for craftsman, poulan, cub cadet and their other ztrs  will be pretty much comparable as they are are the same mowers other than minor features.
I think you'll have a hard time (or at least expensive) doing that, with or without wheels. It might be easier to find bar tread tires and have them installed. I have the same problem with my Dixon, I hate those "turf" tires they come with....slip and slide all over the place.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-25-2017, 05:43 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I think you'll have a hard time (or at least expensive) doing that, with or without wheels. It might be easier to find bar tread tires and have them installed. I have the same problem with my Dixon, I hate those "turf" tires they come with....slip and slide all over the place.

Like I mentioned you may regret getting traction as on on a ztr that means much more damage to the yard if you really use it as as a ztr. Even stock tires on them can destroy a yard....
See if you can find 'field'' tires in that size. More aggressive than 'turf' tires but not as hard on grass as 'chevrons'.
Super Industrial Strength

Larry
(04-25-2017, 08:02 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Like I mentioned you may regret getting traction as on on a ztr that means much more damage to the yard if you really use it as as a ztr. Even stock tires on them can destroy a yard....

I'm aware of that, and don't care if the lawn mower will go where it's supposed to, but that's almost certainly a minority opinion.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
They tell you to use narrower tires for snow tires on your car.  I don't think wide tires will offer more traction.  Deeper tread might be worth looking into.

http://www.hcdmag.com/lawn-mower-tires/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Look at loading your tires with ww fluid. It will help with traction and stability but will put more strain on your transmission.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.