Grizzly Jointers
I believe Grizzly has went to another manufacture and that the retooling and other things.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Huh, I had never heard of Steelex before. Woodstock International INC is out to take over the machinery market. Have to wonder if any Griz haters own a Steelex, or Shop Fox?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
From what I could tell looking at the two machines upclose the Shop Fox and Steelex are identical except for the name plate. It looks like they are both being sold under the Woodstock International name but the Steelex just doesn't get advertised. I wander if Steelex is their attempt to compete with Grizzlys price on some of their more popular machines.
I'm pretty sure Grizzly owns Woodstock International so therefore Shop Fox and Steelex so not sure why they would need to compete.  Shop Fox has always been the retail brand where Grizzly is direct to the consumer.
Thanks Dave, I'll check out the Steelex jointer.
(04-30-2017, 05:38 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: I'm pretty sure Grizzly owns Woodstock International so therefore Shop Fox and Steelex so not sure why they would need to compete.  Shop Fox has always been the retail brand where Grizzly is direct to the consumer.

My thought too Brian. Yeah Shop Fox is about 30% more retail so the dealers can make a profit, not sure where Steelex fits in, unless Shiraz Balolia just figures it's more total tools sold.

Shiraz's Bio I don't see the direct link to Steelex, but I do see the direct link to Woodstock Int. owning Steelex, and he owns Woodstock. Also owns a bullet manufacturer, he shoots, and I've heard several other import export businesses. Probably has a printing press at home too
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

GW
Hey! I would steer away from Grizzly and Shop Fox as in my opinion (my experience) they've always been a let down. Others experience might differ and yours can too but I can't recommend them. Go for Powermatic for example, it's truly worth it. Good luck!
Yes I hear you and would like a Powermatic or a Jet but can't afford either. I am under the impression that both Jet and Powermatic are made overseas as well, I guess China or Twain. I usually do not buy based on cost however find it hard to justify the difference for a Jet and especially Powermatic. I do like that both have longer warranties.

Many folks have indicated that I should look at Shop Fox or Steelex. I am not familiar with either and can't understand why different vendors have these in stock while they are supposedly just different badged Grizzly machines. Just about every 8 inch Grizzly jointer is on and has been on back order for months. I guess both Shop Fox and Steelex have 2 year warranties while Grizzly is just 1 year. I have looked at the Steelex on line and it looks good just like a different color Grizzly jointer. I guess these are sold through Woodstock. Is Woodstock good to deal with if you discover or develop a problem. I've heard good and bad about Grizzly customer satisfaction but I am not familiar with Woodstock.

While I am waiting for my Grizzly order of the G0656 since February I am now researching other options like the Shop Fox and Steelex. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I need to make the best informed purchase that I can as I only want to purchase one jointer, thanks much.
The advice not to buy 1 made in TaiChinese lands over another also made in TaiChinese lands is silly from the is the machine going to be ok aspect, Most are at least Cousins of the same tool, if not Brothers, and Sisters. Paint color, and the shape of the outer panels are the only differences. Now where the real difference will be found is in Customer Service, and Griz, Shop Fox are outdistancing PM, Jet, Delta, and most others by a wide margin today. Now 30 years ago, completely different story, but there are no longer big tools, well shoot, small tools either made here in the USA.

GW
Well aware Steve, thanks for responding. I just couldn't understand why Grizzly has so many jointers on back order while Shop Fox and Steelex have what looks like the same jointers in stock, thanks again.