Shaper vs Router
Question 
Though I started in woodworking in 7th grade, and I'm now 55, I really don't have much experience in what I would call Fine woodworking. I've done more simple yard furniture, repairing this or that, making some shelves, book cases, work tables, and that sort of "easy" type of ww. I have accumulated some good tools and equipment through the years and I'm interested in attempting to get into some of the quality builds that some of you have posted. I have a long way to go, but not in hurry. 

All that said, educate me on the differences of using a router table versus a shaper. I'm not sure of the advantages of one over the other.
Shaper, with say 3HP, is for larger, heavier work. Staircase railings, wood door panels, curved projects.
Router and table, smaller stuff like rails and stile work for cabinet doors.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

A shaper is necessary for architectural moulding. My grand dad bought a 5HP Rockwell shaper and had a few dozen different cutter heads, some weighing up to around three pounds to make big mouldings for reproductions on old houses or custom ones for high end homes. He's gone but the shaper keeps on going. I've used it for some of my simpler furniture designs, but never have used the full potential.

I use a router table much more frequently and the bits don't run into the three figure range like good moulding heads do. Most everything I need is on a much smaller scale than what the shaper was designed for.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Thanks for the reply.
To the inexperienced, a shaper is a much more dangerous tool. I owned one and was glad when I got rid of it. I gave it away. It scared the hell out of me whenever I turned it on.

I added a CI router table to my TS and while it can still be a dangerous tool if you don't pay attention, it has many more safety features. I have never regretted having got rid of the shaper and the router does everything I could ask for.

A shaper is more of a production shop tool and a router is more for a home woodworker.

Just my $0.02 worth.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Amongst both tools there are different quality levels. Shapers especially vary in quality and smoothness depending on design and having a nice one that is easy to adjust and one with serious mass makes the enjoyment of using it so much greater.

I am not a believer that a shaper is only for pros and router tables only for home woodworkers. Two very different capacity possibilities though for sure.

I use both and enjoy both.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I got a delta shaper/router table.  It's more of a router table that you don't take the router out. I like it because it's less messing around when you want to use it.  It was also a screaming deal at the time (years ago)

[Image: 43-505.jpg]
Shaper vs Router
A shaper with a power feeder is a very safe machine.