Battery operated string trimmer
Looking for a good quality battery operated string trimmer. If you have one and like it, what model, size of battery, battery life time, charge rate, price, one string or 2???  Thanks in advance.
John T.
I just got the new Milwaukee M 18. It's the battery platform I use most. It was a promo with 2 9 Ah batteries, charger and the trimmer for less than the batteries alone. It's a twin line trimmer and is fairly large but well balanced. Cuts faster than the older store brand corded trimmer I have. They have a hedge trimmer and full size leaf blower out now too. Gardening and work tools on the same battery platform is a big plus in my world. An option to ponder.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I got a B&D 40V lithium single-string trimmer that came packaged with a blower a couple of years ago.  I couldn't be happier.  I have almost an acre, but not a huge amount of trimming, and it does it all, including the concrete curb edging, on a single charge with power to spare.  Much better than the old corded unit I finally tossed.

I'm sure there are better units out there, but it was relatively cheap, I actually do use the blower once in a while (it's nothing like an engine-driven blower, though), DW can use it, and it does everything I need at the speed it needs to be done.  Anything more would be a waste in my case.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I've had the Ryobi 18V for a few years and it fine for my very limited suburban application. Single string.

I have no clue about the current state of the practice.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I have an Ego 56v 15" trimmer from Home Depot. I'm very happy with it. Stay away from the 12" model though - it has lots of line feed problems.
The best thing online is a fish.
(04-25-2017, 08:18 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I got a B&D 40V lithium single-string trimmer that came packaged with a blower a couple of years ago.  I couldn't be happier.  I have almost an acre, but not a huge amount of trimming, and it does it all, including the concrete curb edging, on a single charge with power to spare.  Much better than the old corded unit I finally tossed.

I'm sure there are better units out there, but it was relatively cheap, I actually do use the blower once in a while (it's nothing like an engine-driven blower, though), DW can use it, and it does everything I need at the speed it needs to be done.  Anything more would be a waste in my case.

i'll 2nd this one . . . i've got a bunch of the B&D 40V stuff, and i've been very happy with all of it for about 2 years now.
(04-24-2017, 11:36 PM)blackhat Wrote: I just got the new Milwaukee M 18. It's the battery platform I use most. It was a promo with 2 9 Ah batteries, charger and the trimmer for less than the batteries alone. 
Is this a current promotion?
It is in Western Canada.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I went with the Kobalt 80v system last year.  Lowes had a free second battery. It also took all of my attachments I had.  The edger pushed it though.  I can do my yard on one battery, and they charge in 30 min.   Very  happy with it. I would have considered the M18 today, since I do have this system of tools. Dan
I have a 40V GreenWorks that shares battery and charger with my mower. Mower can't quite make it through full yard if the grass is thick on the 2 batteries it has. However, the trimmer hardly used anything from it's battery so I can pop that in the mower and finish the yard (meanwhile another is on the charger so ready to go if I did get too excited with the trimmer!). I think I like it better that the old gas trimmers I have had. Lower RPM tears through line slower, but it is still plenty to cut grass. I suppose the gas ones will cut thicker stuff and scalp the ground if I wanted to...But for simply doing the sidewalk and mulch beds it works great.