Drill Press Swap, HF/PM?
Hey Folks,
I currently have a Harbor Freight drill press #38144 that does a lot of what I need, but has it's obvious shortcomings. My neighbor wants to "GIVE" me a pretty old PowerMatic #1150, serial # 65-6069-1, that's in OK, lightly used condition, but needing a good clean-up, handle replacements (all originals are missing) and of course a proper tune up. Can I assume that the serial number dates it to 1965?  While I realize that at face value, the PM is a far superior machine compared to the unit made in Chinesiawanoreanam, it lacks some features that are important to my use. Particularly lacking is any convenient way to change the table height, as there is no rack on the post. The current table is non-tilting cast iron and likely weighs +/- 100 lbs. Can this be dealt with in a manner that won't break the bank? Also, the slowest speed is 300 RPM, which seems a little fast for some metal work. Pics to come soon!

My current, and for the foreseeable future, needs surround building and modifying guitars, amplifiers and speaker cabinets, along with any and all hardware associated with these items. Also, there are the occasional automotive and general "household" concerns.

What I'm trying to avoid is jumping out of the frying pan, of having a crappy drill press and into the fire, of having a great drill press that is a pain to use! I guess my main questions are:

A) Will I be able to find parts for the PM at reasonable prices?
B) Is there any easy way to make the table (which does not tilt or swivel) more easily adjustable in it's height, without needing to find/buy a different post, table and possibly even a base? I kinda like the "non-swivel/tilt" feature, as it is fairly precisely square to the quill and any tilt can be factored in by mounting procedures of the stock to be drilled.
C) How should I expect the quill (if that's the correct name for the piece that the chuck mounts to) to be mounted? I'm familiar with the tapered mounting unit, but did not find any slot in the side for removal?
D) Is the minimum speed of 300 RPM likely to be a problem? While I never drill larger than 1/2" in metal, I've been known to spin hole saws up to 4" or more in wood!

Also, is there an appropriate/good website for finding and sharing info on this "older" PowerMatic unit?

Thanks In Advance Folks,
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
Well, since he's giving it to you, I would work on the option of keeping both.  Afterall, that is more tools for you! 
Winkgrin

Would having both saws fill more of your needs than just one of them alone?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bill,
Having multiples of machinery, etc, is certainly a great dream of mine, but unfortunately, my shop is already 20 (or more) pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag!
Big eek  My 20' x 20' garage has an 8' x6' laundry room cut out of the corner and does multiple duty storing my automotive tools/parts, woodworking toys (oops, I mean TOOLS), space for doing electronics/guitar work (building amps etc.) and music/band rehearsal/recording space, along with space for my desk and computer! I'm must be the only one who's ever had this kind of problem? 
Rolleyes
Thank You Sir,
Gene
Gene

Take it.

300 rpm for 1/2" holes in metal is no problem, in fact we drill mold steel at about 650 rpm for 1/2"
I would think the easiest way to raise the table is with an inexpensive hydraulic jack and a block of 4X4
(04-25-2017, 11:41 AM)castguy2003 Wrote: Take it.

300 rpm for 1/2" holes in metal is no problem, in fact we drill mold steel at about 650 rpm for 1/2"
I would think the easiest way to raise the table is with an inexpensive hydraulic jack and a block of 4X4

That Sir,
Is a wonderful idea that I've pondered a bit! I was just wondering if there was a more elegant and/or standard way of achieving similar results. I guess with a little imagination, I could make up a couple/few lengths of pipe to fit on a mounted bottle jack to cover the different ranges of height/motion that lie outside the stroke of the jack?

300 rpm does seem a little fast for larger hole saws, but maybe I'm just on drugs?

Thanx 4 The Reply,
Gene
Gene

www.owwm.org is a forum dedicated to old, non-Chinese made, out of production wood (and metal) working tools. Go there for any questions you might have.

Yes, take it. Yes, it's worth the effort needed to get it running again.
Semper fi,
Brad

Well,
It currently runs on 110, as it is, although I've not opened the electric box to check if it's multiple voltage capable and the plate/tag is missing from the motor. Appears to be the original motor, due to it's paint matching the rest of the machine's  PM green! It'll likely be moving in over the weekend and then we'll get down to the real nitty-gritty!
Thanx Folks!
Gene
Gene

The table can be raised and lowered with a trailer jack bolted to the column.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gen...st-219760/ -- see reply #7
You're asking if you should swap an HF machine for a Powermatic that's FREE?  Seriously?  A consumer grade chiwanese machine that cost probably a couple hundred for an American made industrial machine that sold in the thousands.  

Yes you can get parts for it, most are fairly common, especially things like bearings and belts.   Yes you can rig up something to help jack up the table.  Not sure if the chuck mount is a J33 taper on that machine or not.  The quill which is the whole assembly that moves up and down generally slides out when you remove the handle assembly that locks it in.  IIRC, that press has 6" of travel, you don't see that too often.  Yes, ANYTHING that HF could do, this one will do as well, and then some.  Post some pics when you get it home.
The popular method for lifting the table is a pulley up high and Anda rope from the table up through the pulley and then down to a counter weight. I always hated using the old drill presses with out a table lift.