Deere D130
Unless you have a metal tank that might rust, I can't think of any reason to leave gas in there over the winter. So I always drain mine, and then run the engines until they quit. When you say you use "premium" fuel, you don't mean high octane?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Starting fluid can be very hard hard on small engines like that. It's hard not to over-do it. WD40 will work as a starting agent, and isn't hard on the engine.
shifty
You had either a little gunk in there or most likely you had a little water in it. The problem today is the garbage gas we are forced to use. Its very bad on carbs etc. The issue is that it has alcohol in it. No matter what you put in for stabilizer it wont last. The engine manufacturers reccomend keeping gas no longer than a week in a gas can because the alcohol absorbs moisture into the fuel and causes corrosion and it plugs up the passages in the carb. 

Some states have real gas still available but usually at a special pump specifically for filling gas cans for lawn equipment. Or you can buy it by the quart for about $10.... Im tempted to start hauling my gas cans to the airport again and run av gas. Its not ideal but its better than typical pump gas. 

Not sure what engine yours  has but if its one of the briggs ohv engines dont forget to adjust the valves every so often. I picked up a freebie riding mower because it wouldn't start. When it gets hard to crank over they are way out of adjustment. This one had not thousands of clearance but 1/8" of clearance. Have a short video where you can see how bad it was...