Jeep roof rack planning.
I am a serious photographer and recently ended up with a Jeep Cherokee 4WD, a step above a beater. Seriously considering adding a roof top platform for my photography. Something like Ansel Adams did, but not as large or permanent.

[Image: 506451-ansel_adams_1947_pontiac.jpg]

I will use gutter mounting brackets. The 4WD guys have some really nice and heavy ones that support sleeping platforms so that is not an issue. I am thinking about making the deck out of Baltic Birch ply. I use that in my kayaks and it handles weather amazingly well.  I am just trying to think ahead for what else I might want to include.

For example, I am thinking a angled wind screen at the front to keep the noise down and air flow clean. Not that is going to help MPG. But it will keep the airflow clean and not get under the platform since it is solid.

I need some sort of raised lip along the edge that you feel under the feet to warn you are at the edge. I want to keep in low profile but obvious need to keep safety in mind. I have considered buy teak boat handrails and mounting them but they are pricey and not sure how they would look.

So I am tossing around ideas for making something. Main thing is to feel it with your foot so you don't step off the edge.

[Image: 4115195.jpg]

I would apply some sort of no slip finish for sure!  Any other good ideas?
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

It would double as a tropic roof, effectively placing the car in the shade all the time.  Great in summers.

The only engineering really is how to mount to the gutters.  Standard rack hardware is available for that purpose:

http://www.rhinorack.com/products/roof-rack-parts

I would make it from 1 x 6 pressure treated lumber.  It is going to be exposed to the weather.

Also note that you will lose from 2 to 4 mpg with the rack in place (depending on how aerodynamic the shape of the original vehicle is).  

Note:  The mpg loss only applies to highway speeds; local driving will have a minimal impact due to the rack.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I wouldn't use teak boat handrails. Use aluminum for lightweight and low maintenance.
Wood is good. 
If you haven't already, research "diy rooftop tent platforms" for ideas.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/thread...atch-build

diy roof top tent platform for suv

Another source for heavy-duty gutter clamps.

http://www.wildernessracks.com/index.php/parts-12.html

MDO plywood might be a better material for the deck.
The Ansel Adams pic suggests that his platform cantilevers over the left and right edges of his car to give him a bigger platform to stand on.  Maybe you can achieve the same thing if you create hinged wings that fold outward and then you'd slide bars underneath to make it rigid enough to stand on.
Adams had more than one version of this.  The one you are looking at is a 1947 Pontiac woodie, and what looks like a late 1930s Cadillac.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ansel+ad...62#imgrc=_

I'm afraid a Jeep just won't cut the mustard.  Too new.  Wrong brand.
I work with Baltic Birch and have it in the shop.  5 x 5 sheets are a near perfect size too.  I placed a piece over a couple of 2x4's to check the spacing and flexing.  Decided if I went with 3 supports instead of 2 I had planned, it would make bracing it up simpler. So I just ordered six gutter mounts. 

It will need some reinforcing down the side  but I want a rail down the side to serve as a toe kick, a reference as to where the edge is so if I am distracted I don't stepping off. 

I will need to add some braces underneath running side to side. I am thinking rolled strut stock would a good cheap choice and easy to install.

I am designing this by the seat of my pants as I go but I have a good starting point now.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

I don't think that Baltic Birch will stand up to exterior conditions.

And I don't see what advantage it enjoys over regular plywood in this application.  I would use parallel boards of pressure treated, or a substructure and plastic decking.
(04-26-2017, 03:55 PM)Cooler Wrote: I don't think that Baltic Birch will stand up to exterior conditions.

And I don't see what advantage it enjoys over regular plywood in this application.  I would use parallel boards of pressure treated, or a substructure and plastic decking.

Aluminum decking is also available. It's used on docks, decks and other outdoor projects.

aluminum decking materials

MDO would survive the elements. It could be covered with vinyl flooring, outdoor carpet or something else to keep the surface layer from wearing through.
(04-26-2017, 05:02 PM)Lynden Wrote: Aluminum decking is also available. It's used on docks, decks and other outdoor projects.

aluminum decking materials

MDO would survive the elements. It could be covered with vinyl flooring, outdoor carpet or something else to keep the surface layer from wearing through.

Aluminum, steel or resin decking would be a good choice.  The aluminum is probably the more structural (along with the steel).  Aluminum will be easier to cut, and very light.  

If it is within budget I agree that aluminum would make an excellent choice.  As decking you can be assured it will sustain the weight of walking on it.  

All that being said, a step ladder seems cost effective for shooting from heights.  A couple of brackets could hold a monopod and give the same results for lots less money.  And the ladder offers the ability to climb to greater heights (and can have secondary uses).

Add a stabilizer for maximum safety:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Qualcraft-Bas.../203191569