Replacing a garage door opener
(04-27-2017, 07:52 AM)Cooler Wrote: I like the idea of the battery powered openers.  They are constantly charged but when you have a power outage they still work.  (We still get lots of power outages in our area as they don't do enough tree trimming).

The battery back up in the one i pit up for lomls mom works well. She has already used it twice since i put it in. I tested the battery operation and it works but it appreciably slower. 

I almost got her the ryobi opener but it would have cost that much more because it doesnt come with the battery. I prefer the ryobi on the battery backup side because it uses a tool battery instead of a small lead acid battery which habe poor lifespans. Ryobi tool batteries arent great but they are better than the small lead acid batteries.

LOML wants us to get the ryobi ones next time because of the accessories for it... And battery backup would be nice here cause our power goes out pretty often due to old overloaded power grid in the neighborhood and transformers that blow up sometimes the replacements only last a few hours. Ill hear my battery backups kick in because the power gets unstable then i hear the boom from two streets over. Sometimes 2 to 3 times  a day when they have issues with replacement units.
If I were prone to outages, I'd be more interested in whole house solutions. The thought of needing a battery backup just for the garage door which already has a manual back-up mode, doesn't make sense to me.

The Ryobi seemed cool to me at first, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized I'd never use the "cool" features. Not even the backup battery/charger.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
My current opener has WIFI automation and a battery back up.  I have used and love both.   We lost power for a couple days and I came and went normally using the opener on battery.  It does open and close a bit slower though.

The wifi interlink connected to my cell phone is great too.  It tells me when the door is opened and closes thus letting me know who is home and when.  I can open (or close) it from anywhere in the world of someone needs access while I am gone.

Both features have pleased me much more then I expected.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(04-27-2017, 09:17 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: My current opener has WIFI automation and a battery back up.  I have used and love both.   We lost power for a couple days and I came and went normally using the opener on battery.  It does open and close a bit slower though.

The wifi interlink connected to my cell phone is great too.  It tells me when the door is opened and closes thus letting me know who is home and when.  I can open (or close) it from anywhere in the world of someone needs access while I am gone.

Both features have pleased me much more then I expected.

And so can anyone else - these "Internet of Things" device are notoriously easy to hack and exploits for them abound on the dark web. Not something I would recommend using to secure your home.

The battery backup would be nice, I have been "locked" out of the house a couple times during a power outage (I don't carry a house key for some reason) and had to break open the garage side door to get into the house.
(04-27-2017, 12:50 PM)vernonator Wrote: The battery backup would be nice, I have been "locked" out of the house a couple times during a power outage (I don't carry a house key for some reason) and had to break open the garage side door to get into the house.

This is why my front door has a digital lock. I haven't carried anything other than the truck key in many years. Don't even have an office key. The digital lock gives plenty of warning of impending battery demise too.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(04-27-2017, 09:06 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: If I were prone to outages, I'd be more interested in whole house solutions.  The thought of needing a battery backup just for the garage door which already has a manual back-up mode, doesn't make sense to me.  

The Ryobi seemed cool to me at first, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized I'd never use the "cool" features.  Not even the backup battery/charger.

The one I saw was not battery backed up.  The unit always ran on the battery which was constantly being charged.  I just looked on line and Chamberlain now is listing it as a battery backed up unit.  So I guess they have changed the design.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-28-2017, 08:03 AM)Cooler Wrote: The one I saw was not battery backed up.  The unit always ran on the battery which was constantly being charged.  I just looked on line and Chamberlain now is listing it as a battery backed up unit.  So I guess they have changed the design.

I bought about 18 months ago and that was the description; "back up".
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-28-2017, 08:03 AM)Cooler Wrote: The one I saw was not battery backed up.  The unit always ran on the battery which was constantly being charged.  I just looked on line and Chamberlain now is listing it as a battery backed up unit.  So I guess they have changed the design.

Same design as always its always been a battery backup. They did switch the motor to dc when they started the battery backup. The battery has always been in paralell with the power supply so technically you could say it runs off of both.
(04-27-2017, 01:16 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: This is why my front door has a digital lock.  I haven't carried anything other than the truck key in many years.  Don't even have an office key.  The digital lock gives plenty of warning of impending battery demise too.

I love my digital locks.  I used to have a house key attached to the dog's leash in case I forgot the key.  The digital key works great and I don't have to worry about the key anymore.

I used the last four digits of my phone number I had as a child. It is no longer in use by any family member and since I have not used it in over 20 years it would be hard for someone to Phish for it and it is easy to remember.  Everyone remembers their first phone number.

I have a Schlage unit.  It is not hooked up to the Internet, but works fine and cost less than $100.00.

[Image: Res-E_Keypad_Lever._V390857766_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
We had a power outage for most of the day yesterday due to a freak snowstorm.   I used the battery backup feature to come and go like normal without having to manually open the door.  I also used the cell phone connection to monitor the power situation at home and when power was restored the garage door alerted me on my phone so I could drive home and turn off the generator I had running the refrigerator. 

Both features were nice to have.  

My coworkers laughed their asses off when I told them my garage door called and reported the power was back on.
WoodNET... the new safespace