FS: Vintage Union No. 4 Bench Plane with HSB Iron - Shaving Sharp!
Here is a somewhat uncommon plane that will make great user. It is a Union No. 4, with the later (but still pre-Stanley buy out) bed design. What makes it a great user is that it is fitted with a vintage HSB iron. A thick laminated iron, it was like adding a Hock iron to your plane 100 years ago.

H.S.B. are the initials of the Hibbard, Spencer, & Bartlett Hardware Co. of Chicago, operating for over 110 years before becoming True Value Hardware.

The tote on this plane had been broken and repaired by a previous owner who pounded in many wire nails, a temporary fix at best. It has now been fixed permanently. After carefully separating the pieces and snipping off the nails (leaving the heads in place), the halves were rejoined with epoxy. To make sure it never fails again, a stainless steel tube was affixed in place with epoxy, spanning the original break. By taking care during the repair, the original finish was retained.

The iron was treated to a hair-shaving honing and is more than capable of making thin shavings in hard maple.

If you enjoy using 100 year old tools, then this one is for you.

Price: $55 plus shipping.

Payment: PayPal preferred. Other forms of payment will be considered.

Shipping: I generally ship the same day or the next business day after receiving payment. I always compare the cost/service time between USPS, UPS, and Fedex to get the best price. There is never a charge for handling or packing, unless there is an unusual amount of effort required (like shipping a delicate item internationally).

[Image: 33480803813_6c2f28c9df_c.jpg]

[Image: 33480803413_86a5982c50_c.jpg]

[Image: 34133638642_4fd1190c51_c.jpg]

[Image: 34159955551_1f34c42856_c.jpg]

[Image: 33480803623_3e6ab6ffd3_c.jpg]

[Image: 33480803133_1e4cb80707_c.jpg]

[Image: 34159955591_58f1a7f99d_c.jpg]

[Image: 33480803933_8f88c75dc5_c.jpg]

[Image: 34133638772_81e4ab0a5c_c.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I have an old Union 8 with the thicker iron and it has become my " go to " jointer. I think the older Unions are great planes.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
One bump before I toss this plane on eBay. As good as the Union irons are, I think the HSB iron is even better. The edge is as keen as any I've sharpened and better than most.

Don't be concerned about the tote. It is rock solid. I have repaired many totes with this technique and none have broken again. I could have refinished the wood and made the repair almost imperceptible, but wanted to preserve the original color.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(04-26-2017, 08:44 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: I have an old Union 8 with the thicker iron and it has become my " go to " jointer. I think the older Unions are great planes.
I agree...I have an old Keep Kutter #4 with the thick, laminated iron and it is first class!!!!!!.They take a superior edge for sure, and they keep that edge longer...a sharp, massively thick blade helps to reduce harmonic vibrations as they "shear" the wood fibers, much better than the newer, thin blades.....IMO, any of the "thin-bladed" vintage planes could be improved with that type of iron.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset