what would you do? Saw cleanup, reepaint?
Finally might get some time to work on this one, but as its the only one I've ever had or even seen I sure don't want to make any major mistakes. The saw had been stored in an unheated outbuilding for its whole life, inside the owner fabricated case. They obviously felt the saw and box needed a paint job at the same time they built the case for it. It's amazing everything wasn't total rust, but actually there is none or very little. It doesn't show much use as the saw is fairly sharp and full depth (2") yet.  When I got this from them the case was covered with a good 1/4" of genuine black dirt type of dust, so hadn't been used in ages.  I have sortof cleaned it up with a good washing sofar. And I thought the paint had blistered up like a sandpaper surface on the boards so scraped that off, but afterwards realized that must have been that way from the gitgo. The family had owned it since new, the grandson told me, and he is in his mid 60's now. His grandfather had bought it, passed it to his son, who in turn passed it to his son. The old shed it resided in had to be demoed due to storm damage, so they offered up whatever was wanted beforehand. Lots of things you seldom see were involved, but this was my favorite, and I'm happy to give it a new home. Anyway, would you remove the paint job on the box and saw and refinish them? Polish up the saw plate? Or just put it all back in its case, stash it in a dark corner and leave the next generation to decide? Idea's anyone?

[Image: LcsX8gD.jpg]
[Image: daVzbQQ.jpg]

[Image: wMUcdX9.jpg]
[Image: oMSj4zr.jpg]
[Image: rIsnYKI.jpg]
[Image: M9dqLiO.jpg]
[Image: esN1Jzd.jpg]
[Image: Nahu2O5.jpg]
[Image: CeyTkUO.jpg]
[Image: mFsJYkU.jpg]
[Image: iCByrjm.jpg]
[Image: h4r8BNC.jpg]
It's not worth your time, send it to me and ill take it off your hands.

Nice score and by the way you have earned the YOU SUCK award of the day. I do believe once its cleaned up it would be the crown jewel of many a collection.
You were wise to pick up this one, and as Charles said, it would be a crown jewel in anyone's collection. 

Unless you're very comfortable with restoration, don't consider tackling this job.

I highly recommend that you contact Bob Page, who goes by the title enjuneer here on Woodnet, to restore this for you. He has the skills to restore this. 

r2
I'd go ahead and clean up the tool, (but wouldn't be too concerned about that plywood box). 
I get much more pleasure from using a tool that I've improved from its as-found condition (but maybe that's just me), and my improvements are aimed at getting the tool to look and act as a well cared for and smooth working old tool .  (I'm not interested in restoring tools to an original brand new finish)
It's a matter of taste.
For me, I'd clean and lightly sand the old box and give it a satin clear coat, but make the saw look new with a barewood handle finished nicely with poly.
I can't remember what the last one on eBay that I saw sold for, but it wasn't cheap. I agree with lilrichard2 about restoration. I would do some practice with some much lesser saws before tackling this one. http://hus-boringt.wkfinetools.com/Mille...6.5-01.asp
Have rehabbed several Mitre Boxes, and saws over past few years......Hardest part would be to sharpen the saw. 

If'n you don't like the plywood box....build a copy out of Poplar, or some other wood of your choice .....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I'd strip the paint off that handle, sharpen the saw, and use the thing. I don't think you would need to do much more restoration than that.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Just send it to me.   It would match my "Sears Red" plane built in the Millers Falls 9B style.

Thanks in advance!

Chris  
Smile
Chris
Chris, you forgot the address. Thanks for all the good advice and I'm aware that most of you know what you're talking about. If I were wanting to use it, I would just use it, no restoration needed for that to happen. But the thing is I have 7 boxes right now, they keep finding me. Just last summer I was down to a couple, both I use occasionally. I figured I could just stay at 2 or maybe sell one and keep one, but oh-no, I have no willpower whatsoever. So I don't think I'll use this one either, leaving my choices to either leave it as is and put it in good storage, or do a restoration. And yeah, I've scrubbed down a lot of saw plates in my days, some turning out great and some not so much. I realize how hard it'd be to come up with a vintage replacement for this little Simonds so I'm not sure I'd want to tackle it. I do think it'd be prudent to send it to someone who has ability and confidence.