what would you do? Saw cleanup, reepaint?
Nice 16 1/2 and a Simonds saw to boot, great haul. The saw needs to be liberated from that paint job. I'd probably try to get the red paint off the box as well, trying to preserve the original paint. I have the 15 1/2 and trying to find a nice 16 1/2. You'll like using the box, makes cutting small trim pieces a snap.
And..I just MIGHT know a fellow who can rehab things like this....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have the same miter box in my accumulation, but my saw is a Disston. I would just clean the box, but would strip the red paint from the saw handle and refinish with some BLO.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
If you strip the paint off the saw handle (which I'd do), I would not use BLO to refinish if the wood is apple.
The Simonds backsaws usually had applewood handles, and my experience is BLO soaks in and goes too dark on applewood handles (works good on beech handles though)
I'd suggest using shellac on the bare wood, then rub down the gloss with steel wool, and finish with a coat of paste wax.
(04-30-2017, 11:29 AM)kwigly Wrote: I'd suggest using shellac on the bare wood, then rub down the gloss with steel wool, and  finish with a coat of paste wax.

This is my finish of choice for apple wood also. It will make that old Simonds look great.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
It looks like he liked Red.  I also would clean it up and it also looks like it would be a wonderful user to.  I know if I had any one like that I would keep it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.