FWW Table and Johns moctice machine
I recently built Johns horizontal mortice table
Its a solid piece of equipment.
Being as I work at a welding shop it was easy to get a router plate made up.

I built the rest out of scraps I had around the shop and just bought a few bolts.

The table is from FWW back around issue 232 I think.
The calla lily table.
I did it a few years ago with hand chopped mortices. It worked but was super difficult to fit and get square.

This time I did all the mortices in one 2 hour stint in the shop and the tennons the next night.
A bit of cleaning up with hand tools, just because I really like to do the final fit by hand.
Popped right together.
The inner pieces are doweled but all pieces going to legs were m&t.

[Image: IMG_2149_zpsi1wxnicy.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2150_zpsujdsuhat.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2151_zpsetjbwits.jpg]

Also did this cabinet.
Couldn't get the M&T to come out square...must be losing my touch because I have done lots.

Resorted to the tennoner

[Image: IMG_2076_zpsrpocehds.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2053_zpsllxjqquc.jpg]

Anyway...just had to do a plug for a super usefull tool.
Thanks John
For The Love Of Wood
Very nice work, Dara.  And your mortiser looks nice, too.  It's the first one I've seen that uses aluminum extrusions for runners.  How do they work for you? 

Thanks for the good press. 

John
I agree with both of you. Johns HM is the real deal, and that looks very much like the one I have that John built for me. I have used a lot of aluminum track on tables, and jigs to allow movement. What I have found is the track tends to fill with fine sawdust, and even if you keep after it pretty well, it will tend to cake at the edges, and after a while movement starts to get sticky. I think it would depend on how you are attaching top, to bottom that would tell how user friendly the t track would be. Using toilet bolts, you have some aiming to do to re-attach after sliding off. I think the beauty of your runners John are you just lift the sections off, grab a brush, clean everything out, and drop the top back onto the bottom. I can't see how a track would allow any straighter, smoother, or quicker movement then how you've placed your solid runners.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I only used the track because I had it sitting around for years and I thought it may be easier than running out more maple tracks.
What it did is allow for easy placement.
The slot is just right in the upper and a bit wide in the lower.
It let me put the sections together and then screw the track down when alignment was just right against the router plate.
The track is only a slide, no bolts holding things together.
A coat of wax once in a while keeps things sliding smoothly
For The Love Of Wood