Handworks 2017 in Iowa
Anyone attending Handworks 2017 in Amana Iowa next month? Apparently this is the third year for it and although I just heard about this a few months ago, I plan to attend. Traditionally I've been a power tool type of woodworker but I recently bought a few nice block planes and card scrapers and really like the finish I get from these. I'm going to start testing the waters with hand cut dovetails as well, so I'll be in the market for a nice dovetail saw and other misc hand tools while there. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for to start out?
Remember, in the next world you're on your own!
I've attended all three and it keeps getting bigger. It is a great hand tool event and I enjoy it very much.

I live in the area so I'm lucky and only have to drive about 30 miles.
Not so convenient for east coast guys. Can't justify the drive.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'll be there. I missed the first two, and will finally get to go this time.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(04-27-2017, 06:48 PM)Admiral Wrote: Not so convenient for east coast guys. Can't justify the drive.

Can't justify the flying -- airfare, hotel, car rental and food. I could use the trip money to buy anything I want that I still don't have in my shop!

Simon
It is the third time this event is being held, however it only occurs every two years. Seems it will be bigger than ever this year. This is the biggest assemblage of the best hand tool makers and teachers that occurs. This is the only event in which I participate these days.

Ron

[Image: hwbanner2017-2.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
I had a lot of fun at the first two Handworks gatherings and am looking forward to #3 next month.  It's a great opportunity to  try out new tools and meet the people who made them, the best gathering of it's type I've attended.
was planning on it, but something came up and I had to cancel my hotel reservations.  I'll be watching via social media.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(04-27-2017, 06:48 PM)Admiral Wrote: Not so convenient for east coast guys. Can't justify the drive.

I hear you, almost 1100 miles one way for me, wish they'd have something about 3-4 states closer, maybe down in the Amish villages in PA.
(04-28-2017, 09:41 AM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: I hear you, almost 1100 miles one way for me, wish they'd have something about 3-4 states closer, maybe down in the Amish villages in PA.

Last similar event in the northeast that I can remember was PW's Woodworking in America, held in Phila at Valley Forge PA in 2009.  I went to that one.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis